Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

First Farmers Market

Last Saturday was our first farmers market. While it was a little slow, over all I had a good day. It didn't help that it was 38 in the morning and there was patchy frost! I thought May 8th was suppose to be warmer!

We had radishes, spinach, beet greens, green onions, jellies, tomato, pepper, zucchini, cucumber transplants and hanging baskets of tomatoes. My oldest was on camera duty. She didn't exactly capture everything.

Getting ready the night before

Comments (9)

• joe-il
    13 years ago

looks real nice jay. Hope you have a great season.

things are rocking in the hightunnel. tomatoes are growing like weeds.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Everything looks really nice. Last Saturday was our second Saturday market, but we did better than the 1st. Of course we had strawberries from southern IL, but it was COLD, probably almost as cold as you were, Jay.

Where do you get your jellies? Care to share ordering info? OR do you do your own?

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I make all my own Jellies. It is just a small part of my business, but it allows me to have product to sell all year long. I sell a bunch of jelly in November and December.

My specialty is Pepper Jellies. Red, Yellow, Green and Purple Jalapeno (all from different colors of peppers), Orange, Red, Chocolate, and White Habanero.

Confetti (apricot, pepper, red onion combination). Grape and Apple Pie Jam.

All my peppers are the ones that don't sell or are too small or aren't perfect. I use all of the peppers that I grow. Very few are wasted. The apples are from my Father in law or other local growers. The grapes come from my FIL too. I can't argue with free!

This area of my business has the most potential to grow. I have people willing to stock my product, but I will need to produce it in a certified kitchen and do a little bit more. While I want to do it, now isn't the time.

Thanks for asking!

Jay

• jillzee
    13 years ago

Wow - the confetti jam you sell sounds terrific!

When I get a real yard someday (currently just .3 acres in the suburbs), I'll have to make hoop houses. I've been enjoying looking at your pictures of them so much, and I'm jealous of the tomatoes you show in your pictures here!!

I hope it's warmer for you this Saturday :)

Jill

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Myfamilysfarm, do you know if the Indiana state regulations are the same for homemade jams and jellies as they are for homemade baked goods for sale at farmer's markets? I think you were the one that posted last year that the state of Indiana had changed the law to allow homemade baked goods that were made in your home kitchen were allowed to be sold at the farmer's markets. Then again, I may have you mixed up with someone else.

• bcskye
    13 years ago

jrslick, wish I had set ups like your's. The pictures were great.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

From what I've heard, the jams and jellies are stricter and must be from a certified kitchen. My market requires the certified kitchen.

Yes, Indiana passed a law exempting farmer market vendors from needing a certified kitchen, but my county's board of health requires it. Different counties have different rules, and you must obey the rules of the county that the market is in.

Marla

• eureka2
    13 years ago

Love the pictures of the hanging baskets, what variety tomatoes are you using? Along with selling veggies and plants at a farmers market I also sell potted plants to a supermarket.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The hanging baskets are Tumbling Toms. One yellow and one red. They are bred to preform in hanging baskets. I am very happy with them. They preform well, produce a lot of tomatoes and produce all season long. The tomatoes are sweet and delicious. This year we grew 100 of them. Last year we had 50 and sold out in three weeks. This year, different economy, bad early markets (rain, very cold, storms and etc) we haven't sold as many. However, I still keep taking them. They have tomatoes set on them. The ones I don't sell we will continue to grow and harvest from. They will pay for themselves.

Jay

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting