Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for boxes (flats)

Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 13:06

I apologize if this has been asked recently (I don't know how I'd search the archives for this. The search term "boxes" turns up 25,000 hits) but I need a source for boxes to sell peaches and tomatoes.

I'm thinking of a flat type of box (so that the fruit won't have to be stacked) that would hold about 12 tomatoes or peaches. It doesn't matter if the box is plain, or labeled with something else. Some of those strawberry flats might work well. I'd like to put those dimpled cardboard liners (they're dimpled for large fruit) in the bottom so the fruit doesn't roll around. I can cut the dimpled cardboard liners to fit the boxes.

I just need a small amount (only about 200-250 boxes).

Does anyone have a good inexpensive source for a box of this type, or for dimpled cardboard liners?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for boxes (flats)

I use quart and pint pulp tills for tomatoes. A quart holds around 1.5 to 2 pounds of bug maters, a pint is perfect for cherry and saladette type tomatoes.

I used to use bread racks but found, especially with the delicate heirlooms, that people would handle them to death and I would take home up to 50% as damaged. With boxes few people handle the tomatoes and it is far quicker to sell by the box than by weight so you are not losing sales while weighing produce.

The bread racks I either found or got from restaurants and bread stores throwing them out

Here is a link that might be useful: Monte Packaging

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 15, 10 at 9:40

Thanks for the link Boulderbelt.

I agree, you don't want people handling soft fruit. Ripe peaches bruise even worse than heirloom tomatoes.

o

If you live near an Amish Produce auction, check with them. They buy in quantity and then sell in smaller lots without alot of markup. That's where I get my boxes.

Also, if you want a wholesaler's name, Monte Packaging out of MI will send you all kinds of supplies. But you will pay for the shipping, which I've found isn't cheap. I live close enough to drive and save the shipping. They are also online at montepkg.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here