Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmerle_gw

Doyle Blackberry

Rmerle
19 years ago

We purchased these plants in 2002 and using the suggested fertilization they produced fairly well last year; however, we haven't seen the production we were looking for as yet. Still waiting. The people we bought haven't been very helpful as they advertise "holding your hand" for the first year. Could never get any answers to most of our questions of course that was "AFTER we purchased the plants! Interesting.....

Comments (7)

• paulsalvaterra
    19 years ago

Other previous posts have not been very favorable all the time. do a search.

Paul

• barberberryfarm
    16 years ago

I realize this posting was from 2004, but have you had any luck with your Doyle blackberries now that a few years have passed? We planted 20 this past March and their crowns are averaging 5-6 primocanes each with average lengths between 20-30 feet with buds every 2-3 inches apart. Of course we won't know until this summer as to the quantity of fruit we'll reap. But so far all is looking good.

Ken Barber
    Millbrook AL

• sherryls
    16 years ago

I checked out this post because I have Triple Crown Blackberries and have beautiful plants but almost no fruit!
    The plants are happy and grow with a vengence but very little flowers and only a handful of fruit a year. I have had them now for several years and am stumped. Got any ideas?

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

Ken, I'm curious. You say that you have the primo canes with average lengths of 20-30 feet. Have you considered pruning those to get lateral growth instead of dealing with the 20-30 feet lengths?

Janet

• sullivanhollow2009
    14 years ago

I bought a couple Doyle plants last year, one has survived but not doing well. Bought some TC off eBay same time they are doing great. Will never buy Doyle again.

• minirose1
    14 years ago

My husband became interested in the Doyle a few years ago and has had very good production with them, but also planted some other varieties and he is planning to switch strictly to Chester. We just love them and the berries are huge! Good flavor too and they pick so much faster.

• erin2009
    14 years ago

I live within 20 minutes of where they sell the Doyle blackberries. I really haven't ever heard of anybody having good luck with the blackberries. (There are obviously some exceptions.) And even the farmers around here that grow blackberries just order them from a catalog or get them from a friend. I think if they were all that special they would just drive to town and get some...