Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

WWYD? Full season or by the week?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I had started my lettuce, Asian greens, radishes for June market and now I don't know if they're going to bolt with 90 degrees for the next 3 days. But weather has prevented me from planting other heat-loving veggies (seeded cukes yesterday,hoping to do squash today if rain holds off), tomatoes probably won't go in til Monday so I'm just potting up some rootbound ones now. Peppers haven't even started hardening off so maybe end of next week.

Looking at anticipated harvests, July is going to have *nothing* except maybe some blueberries, some strawberry plants from renovating the beds, and maybe some salad greens if I keep reseeding (maybe do some containers?) and they don't bolt. Squash and cukes might be ready mid-late July at about 50 DTM. I don't know whether to try to seed beans (60-65 DTM) this week or wait til next week.

My early tomatoes (Independence Day 49 DTM Best Boy 70 DTM Cosmonaut Volkov 65 DTM cherries and pastes 70 DTM) aren't going to be ready until early August since I haven't put them out yet due to cold rainy weather - will probably plant them Monday after the heat wave ends.

So should I pay for the full 15 weeks (June 19 til Sept 25) - I asked if I could skip July if I didn't have enough to bring? Or just pay $20 per week and go when I have enough (they will want some idea though)? Break even is 10 weeks since full season is $200, weekly is $20.

Comments (12)

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

ask them if you can pay 20 each time until you get to 200 and then call it a full season.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish I could - but I think they made the fee $20 just so people would sign up for the full season. Bu no harm in asking...

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Most markets don't allow that, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, do you get the same spot each week, if you would go week to week? Or do you get moved around wherever there is space? If you get moved around, I'd pay the entire season. People remember not only you, but WHERE you are in the market.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally called since I hadn't gotten a reply to my email 2 days ago. They'll let me pay by the week up to max $200 (thanks for suggesting that!) and will also let me have same spot each week (not necessarily same spot in Aug as June if I skip July, but at least the same spot every week once I start coming every week or so). They have a lot of farmers coming just a couple of times a month.

June 19 - grape jelly, maybe tomato plants, strawberries (tips just starting to color up now, when will they be ripe?) and salad greens, radishes, maybe baby carrots? Oregano (I need to thin mine, maybe bring small pots?). I can also bring blueberry and blackberry preserves made from frozen berries.

June 25 - maybe blueberries, basil? Salad greens if they don't bolt? Radishes and/or carrots?

July 3 -skip? Unless I have lots of blueberries

July 10, 17 skip?

July 24 - maybe squash, cukes, wild blackberries, raspberries, dill, basil?

July 30 - Squash, cukes, blackberries, raspberries (?) early tomatoes, herbs

August and Sept - keep up with the squash, cukes, more tomatoes, also should have green beans and then edamame. Could also plant some more kale and other greens, carrots to have for Sept market? Jam and jelly fro leftover berries. Season ends Sept 25.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

What ever you can have for July 3, do it. I've found that the day before the 4th can be double or triple of normal days.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, really? I found at old market the regulars didn't come, we did get some tourists who were staying in B&B or camping so weren't buying produce. But this is a new town. Believe me, whatever I have (if it's more than $25 worth) I will bring.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I sold a lot of picnic/cookout type of veggies that day. I could sell more than 5-6 bushels of tomatoes, along with zucchini, peppers, onions and anything else that could make kabobs.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thing is, I won't have any of that stuff that early. Now, the Wed before Labor Day I'll have it, but would be better to have a Thurs or Fri market before a 3 day weekend.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Any of the BIG holidays, and only 2-3 days MAX before the holiday. The day after or so, forget it. Everybody stocks up for the holiday and don't need anything for a week or so.

Any fruit or finger food should sell well before a holiday.

I keep forgetting that your season is so much later than mine.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Season seems to be getting shorter every year - sometimes we'll have summer weather in April or May, sometimes it will still be winter, and then sometimes goes from one to the other in a matter or days and then back again!

I am thinking we don't get a spring any more - though we are still (knock on wood) getting an autumn. But we go right from winter to summer it seems, makes it hard to have anything for July when I can't put out summer veggies til June.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I believe the climate is changing, not alot at a time, but it is changing. Once you start working with the seasons, you notice changes more.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, once it starts having a financial impact it really gets your attention LOL!

I can't believe forecast (in town) calling for 42 tomorrow night (actually Wed AM). Not a record low for this early in the month (TWC says record is 34, I don' know when that was), but average is usually mi-high 40's by now. High of only 62 later in the week - I wonder, if I had planted peas if they ould be loving it, or dead by now from the heat? Kale and spinach isn't bitter or bolting yet, head lettuce and Asian greens are germinating well, though a little bleached out from the sun. That looseleaf lettuce just isn't coming up though, I think it got washed down into the woodchips in the aisles. Maybe I should buy some starts to put in (if anybody has some that hasn't gotten bitter).

I hate to do it, but I'm going to hold off til Wed to put in the rest of the tomatoes (partly cloudy, will be better than the sunny day tomorrow, though high will be 75 instead of 90 - though again record is 98 so if that was the same year as the 34 degree low maybe the climate *isn't* changing!).