Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habanero peppers

Posted by cal_mario 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 14:42

Hello!
I grow peppers and other vegetables for markets and was tired of trying the regular non hybrid Habanero variety and getting very poor and slow results.I bought the Super hybrid Habanero and planted them about 7 weeks AFTER the regular kind.Just to show a comparison of the growing rate I took a picture.My opinion is its a waste time to plant the non hybrid Habanero its too slow growing during the cool months.

Mario

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habanero peppers

Thanks for posting that. I will definitely try them next year.

o

I agree, hybrid peppers are definitely worth the extra seed money. I have a lot of conversations at market with people who are confusing hybrids and GMOs. I try to explain the difference and I try to explain the advantages of hybrids in some cases over open pollinated varieties. Then it gets really confusing when I tell them that the seeds they want to save from my open pollinated peppers (and squash) won't breed true because I grow so many varieties.

Beautiful peppers cal_mario! I'm just getting my hot ones in the ground (in a low tunnel) this week. Hopefully the sweet ones next week.

o

Market manager of new market emailed me confused about hybrids GMOs and chemicals. Took some explaining. I've never grown habs though have grown hots. They just don't sell around here. For some reason bells don't grow as we'll for me as chiles so I'm trying other sweets this year.

Nice plants -you should post pix on Hot Pepper forum tell everyone I said hi.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Thu, May 23, 13 at 5:21

o

Sounds like you have a really informed market manager, enjoy teaching.

o

The guy's new and the market is only in its 3rd year. Run by committee for nonprofit, one of the committee members asked him to ask.

o

Thanks for your replies.The markets where I go to one is 90% Hispanic so peppers sell extremely well especially the super hots in fact Jalapeno's ,Fresno's.any of the milder ones don't sell as much this is just outside of the city of Fresno.I sell 3 packs and gallon containers mostly.The other Market is mixed customers but in the city on Sundays.I have been taking my Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Maruga Scorpions and doing well so far.By now our veggie pack season is winding down so I am doing herbs and flowers too.
Mario

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here