Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch layer working wonders!

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:13

I am one of the happiest market gardeners around these parts! I really have the mulch layer dialed in and it is doing great! It is throwing a little more soil on the plastic, but I can easily have one of the girls sweep it all off. I could also add some dirt shields, but I haven't done that yet.

I am almost out of drip tape, but I will order that and get it here soon.

If I would have done all this work by hand yesterday, it would have taken me several days. Instead it only took 3 hours, with a few breaks (it was 95 degrees)

Here will be the outside lettuce patch in white plastic
 photo 137_1180_zps6c72387b.jpg

Peppers and Tomatoes in black and white
 photo 137_1182_zpsd54859b0.jpg

Okra or Sweet potatoes
 photo 137_1183_zps15c5d02f.jpg

Cucumbers and Zucchini
 photo 137_1185_zpsf8c40989.jpg

First planting of Melons
 photo 137_1186_zpseb7290e0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch layer working wonders!

Glad you're happy

o

What a time saver and how efficient!!

o

Last night, after I got home from the Farmers Market, I put out another 6 beds of mulch in about 30-40 minutes. The sun was going down fast, but the chance of rain was going up too! I have 3 more beds, but I am almost out of drip tape. I probably can get one in, but that is all. I will just have to reuse some tape to finish the last two beds. I might try to get that done tonight.

Now I just need to start planting!

Jay

o

Way to go. I am still waiting for the dirt to dry enough to really dial it in. I did 2 200 foot rows the other day and it was just too wet. I can't wait to get the rest of our beds in!

o

You should feel very happy with your layer. It took me all day to prep for half of the tomatoes, the other nightshades and 1 bed of brassicas. I didn't get to the sweet potato or melon areas yet. It was a lot of work by hand!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here