Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prices: tomato plants & annuals

Posted by Sgarden z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 05 at 16:51

This is my first year selling. How much do folks generally charge for tomato plants and annuals? I'd appreciate some feedback greatly!
thanks,
Sarah in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prices: tomato plants & annuals

I pay $9/flat(36 plants) for tomato plants

o

$3/6 pack

o

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, strawberries & squashes in 2 1/2" pots: $1.25 each, mix & match 5 for $5.00.

o

i use 16 oz plastic cups,$2.00 ea 3/$5.00.

o

I charge for 3 1/2 - 4" pots CN$2 (US$1.60) each, for gallon pots CN$5 (US$4) each (but they are not going very well at all at the moment). I also do cherry tomatoes in a 10" hanging basket for CN$8 (US$6.40).

Kevin
Powell River, BC, Canada

o

Hello,
I live in Michigan, too. Last year was my first year selling plants. I researched quite a bit and found that $2.50 per tomato plant was a common price for market gardeners. We did very well charging that price with a discount for a flat of 12. We are selling heirlooms and growing organically. The tomatoes are grown in four inch pots and the vegetables and flowers are in flats of 18 (3 inch, I think)and charge $1.50 each. We are in an area with about fifty large greenhouse centers within 5-10 miles who sell their stuff much cheaper but don't do what we do. I don't know if you do organic or heirlooms, but when I was researching, I saw a lot of market people selling conventionally grown hybrid varieties for that price, too, who also said they did well. The personal touch and the customer liking and trusting the grower seemed to be the key. There also seems to be a magic number kinda of thing about pricing, I grew up working in a family retail business
and many people say that. $2.50 appears to be like that for tomatoes from what I can tell :)

o

Thanks so much sunflowerstand. Yes, I do grow heirlooms and don't use any pesticides/herbicides, so when you put it that way, I do have something special to offer. I admit I have had a hard time with pricing and get a little worried about it. I'm also a one-person operation so the labor involved is intense, even for the small amount I grow.
Zone 6a in Michigan huh? I'm in Ann Arbor area so we are just a bit chillier, but not much.
thanks everyone for your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here