Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

My season starts Saturday

wordwiz
12 years ago

No produce to sell, though if it had been warmer, we had plenty of rain to flood a rice paddy! Tomato plants: Early Wonder, Rutgers, Sun Gold, Celebrity, Bush Goliath and BHN 589 plus at least one large banana plant and several 6-gallon nursery pots.

Not expecting a bunch - I'm selling 4 packs for $3, 6 packs for $5.00 each and single plants, in 3" nursery cells, for $3 each. Haven't decided on the cost for the pots but probably about $2. I also have several dozen 6" pots, already paid for, that I might as well get rid of. Maybe a quarter each for them?

Due to so many things out of my control this year, I was not able to get as many different types of plants started as in years past. Not near as many. Usually I have hot, bell and banana peppers, eggplants, broccoli, basil, alpine strawberries and always something odd: peanuts, cotton, hibiscus, Angel Trumpets, whatever sounds different. But like I said, there were so many things I had zero control over that kept me from doing things I normally do. But lie is like a poker game, only stud and not draw. I gotta play the cards I was dealt and make the most of them!

My motto for the year is to "Dance in the Rain." In other words, not just accept was falls my way but to enjoy it. And if the forecast holds true - I'll be selling in the rain!

Mike

Comments (10)

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

I am still on the fence about going to the first market of they year. I will have some asparagus (though this cool weather has made it stop growing so I may not have enough to make it worth going) but not much else.

I find it is not worth it for me to go to market if I can't make at least $350 (especially now with $4 a gallon gas) and I do not think I will be able to harvest nearly that much produce.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

I was on the fence too, but I have been going to market for 3 weeks now and I see it as an investment for the summer. I want to get my name and face out there for the customers to see. I don't want my first day to the market be the first day I have lots of stuff. I want people to be familiar with me, even if I have gone to the market for several years.

I have made enough to cover my expenses and make a little, but every dollar helps!

Just my thoughts!

Jay

• teauteau
    12 years ago

I will be starting this Saturday at our local Cinco de Mayo parade. I have tomatoes, chiles, sweet peppers and tomatillo transplants and our farmers market will have a booth. Then Sunday, May 7th, I will be at one of our markets with just transplants. I'm hoping that in two more weeks I will have some radishes, mustard greens and lettuce. Got stuff out a little late, plus, it has been so chilly here, lately.

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a few people ask me today if I would have plants for sale so I'm excited. As far as when I will have produce to sell - July is looking good. Seriously, except for about 240 sq. ft. in my backyard that I covered with plastic, it has been almost a month since I could even think about working any soil. Record setting rainfall in April and May is picking up where April left off.

One way or the other, I will be better prepared next year, especially if selling from a single stand rather than a FM works this summer. I'll use every available square foot in my house for plants, especially cool season plants that do not require lots of light: Chard, Lettuce, Sugar Snap Peas, Broccoli. I've been playing with hydroponics and artificial lighting for a couple of years and should be able to grow stuff economically. Not as cheap as outside, but this year I have not been able to grow anything outside!

Mike

• spogarden
    12 years ago

I don't have as much produce as I would like either but I agree with going to market anyways. If the customers don't see a lot of vendors, they may not come back. We are finally getting a light break in the weather here but still 10 degrees cooler than normal every day. I am putting out row covers on a lot of stuff, wish I had a hoophouse.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

The first day of the market season will be better than the 2-3 one, because people have been waiting all winter. Definitely show up, even if you don't have much, people will expect to see you.

Marla

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A so-so day. Sold about $121 in plants. Two years ago, at a different venue, I sold about $220, last year in yet another different one, about $40. It's still early here (Frost free is May 15) plus all the rain has people jittery about planting anything.

I'll do another site this week, plus sell from my home. I'll also take orders from places where I drop off papers and deliver them the following week, plus I have a couple of community garden contacts to touch base with.

Mike

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

The market day was rainy here, but IF I had been there, I might have sold $200 in plants. So I think you did rather well.

Marla

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marla,

I thought I was going to do better. The venue I sold at last year invited me back, but I told them I had already committed to another place. They offered to sell plants for me. Somehow, communication broke down. They thought I was donating the plants to their sale, which was not my intention.

Not a big deal - I lost maybe $100 in plants but the group is a great civic organization and they help me.

I know they have some plants left over and hope they will pay for what they use for their own personal gardens.

Mike

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Sometimes giving away brings more back. I was giving away excess produce, really too bad for my standards, to a friend and what it got me was a pig delivered to the butcher. About 100-120 lbs of locally raised pork. Good deal. Now he gets free plants for his garden, and I get a tractor mechanic and use of his farm equipment. Again, very good deal.

Marla

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor