Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

What are some good 'off-type' tomatos for nursery growing/ sale??

flowersandthings
17 years ago

Off-type as in odd shaped (pleated, sausage, oxheart etc.) and off-type as in non-red color (orange, yellow, white, black, green, bicolor, other? etc.)...... Which ones are suited to growing in a nursery and for market/ nursery sales????? Thanks. :)

Comments (4)

• digit
    17 years ago

I think this is a darn good question since the customers we deal with are so stick-in-the-muds regarding what they will grow in their yards.

Year after year, they won't change. It almost seems like availability is the only impetus - can't get it . . . well, I'll try just anything.

We grow different tomatoes and new ones each year. But, we only have a limited number of plants to sell  maybe a flat or half a flat of each of about 15 choices. Our offering of ripe tomatoes late in the season is broad and then THEN the customers seem to appreciate variety. They are enthusiastic over the baskets of small tomatoes in every color and shape.

Steve

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Cherokee Purple always seem to win the local taste testing event know locally as Tomatopallooza.

• timintexas
    17 years ago

Oh Steve...so true...I get so sick of the same requests, year after year. Big Boy...Early Girl...blah blah blah. They don't even grow well here in this part of Texas. Anyway, I grow a bajillion kinds of tomatos...both for retail plant sales and, later, for my fresh market. If I had to recomend one just to get those dull people talking, undoubtably it would be Lemon Boy. Yes, I know..seed is a bit pricey but it is so easy to grow AND it will never fail in your customers yard. One year I got sooooo sick and tired of the old tomato men(an unkind term at our greenhouses for THOSE kinda guys-crotchety old mean tomato growers) asking for Big Boy I FORCED each to take one Lemon Boy-free. Just try the darn thing. I sorta forgot about it till the next year when all those people came pouring in to get some of those fantastic YELLER' Matos'!! I soon ran out of them but strangely, they were all then willing to try some of the more funky types. My fresh market customers are the same...FEARFULL of a tomato that is differnt. For some reason, the bright, clear yellow of Lemon Boy intrigues them whereas orangish yellows do not. The next week it seems they are more willing to try some of the other colors.... At my market, sometimes I alternate a plate of red and yellow tomato slices...seems to make people notice. Anyway, that is my number one choice to get people started on the unique. LEMON BOY!

• digit
    17 years ago

There you go Tim, nothing sparks marketing like the word "FREE!" When the world brings you Lemon Boys . . . make sales.

I think you've uncovered more truth; these stick-in-the-muds don't even have a good thing going. They are just afraid to try something NEW. And, in some ways, who can blame them.

The typical suburban tomato gardener has probably only room for a half dozen plants. I think what we'd all like is for him to have a half dozen - each different, of our nice big plants. Then dig up a little more of his lawn and put in another half dozen.

It would make life more interesting. Instead, these guys are looking for the same tired 6 pack of Early Girls, or whatever, that got them thru way back when.

Here . . . try something NEW, it's FREE!

Steve