Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Tomatoes in 4' Pots -- How Much?

Posted by johanna_h Z5+ SW MI (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 18:47

Our new Three Oaks Farmers' Market starts Memorial Day weekend. I'll have a number of tomato seedlings to sell. What do you ask for 4" pots with good sized seedlings?

Thanks for your input!

--Johanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Tomatoes in 4' Pots -- How Much?

Last year I got $3.00 for my heirlooms in 4" peat pots.

o

I can only get a $1 for them but other people I know (at different markets) get twice that. I don't sell a lot of veggie seedlings but then, I'm not at a farmers market.

Things that I have experienced in the past - Plenty of dedicated gardeners in my area (Raleigh) have disease issues in their yards. A lot of this land used to be tobacco farms. So some of them have given up on heirlooms that don't have good disease resistance. They love to eat them, and would love to grow them, but they have better luck with hybrids. Plenty of people can just barely notice the difference in the flavor. I know that flavor is a big selling point but I've learned with my own neighbors and friends that not everybody can detect the difference between vine ripened hybrid and heirloom. I consider myself a good salesman and I have trouble convincing people to buy any tomato that isn't round and red.

o

• Posted by timh z8 E.Tx. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 23:27

Probably you can sell them for a buck forty nine. Thats about all my market will bear. Anything more than that and the impulse thing just sorta goes away......

o

I ended up pricing them at two dollars each, or three for five dollars and sold them out. Granted, I only had eighteen plants -- they were just the leftovers from what I started for my own garden!

--Johanna

o

too low. you should have started higher with so few to sell. $3 was fine. and I was reading here on the web someone in california they wanted $6 for a tomato plant. the heirlooms generally sell for more money.

$3 is the going rate around here and they all sell out.

I paid $3 and was happy to get a good heirloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here