Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telecaster_gw

I actually sold a few...!

telecaster
17 years ago

tomatos that is...1st time just messin around..sold about40 plants to people at work and my little self serve cart in the front yard...a few people said "have u seen what's in the stores?" my plants looked a lot better for less than half the price...have I made any profit?... no but I am learning and building a customer base...anyone else just starting out?

Comments (4)

• Miss_Mudcat
    17 years ago

This is our first year selling tomato plants. We're not messing around, and we do hope to make a profit. We're selling them at Farmer's Market, to friends and anyone we meet. This year we are certainly building a customer base; if we break even this year, next year ought to be better!

Best Wishes to you,
    Lisa

• vegomatic
    17 years ago

This is my third year of growing a couple flats of starts for the local hardware store's greenhouse. I don't have space to get into growing hundreds, but this gives me a feel for what all is involved.

We're only talking twenty or so bucks, since I split the money with the store owner. If I ignore my time, I probably make a few bucks over cost. I'm growing for myself and it's not much more work to add a couple flats, so why not have some fun while learning a bit about it!

The fun part is I'm offering some USDA varieties and heirlooms that you just can't find as seedlings around here. I have 14 varieties this year, but only about 40 plants. 8 are already spoken for and I haven't delivered them yet!

We've already learned it's better to provide a few nice, big plants that sell for 3 or 4 bucks each than a bunch of $1.00 4-packs that take almost as much work to grow.

It's a good way to get a foot in the door while I get some low-cost experience. Later, I'd hope to grow several hundred tom seedlings, plus maybe other veggies as well.

-Ed

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I sell mine at the local flea market along with a broad variety of other plants. I make enough money to be a part time weekend job. This is my second year doing it. I only stop if the weather is too hot or stormy or if I run out of plants. I grow an interesting array of tomato and pepper plants but they are not huge sellers for me. My thoughts on "the business" is that it doesn't really matter what you price them - the customer is in front of YOUR display. They are not at the local big box retailer at that moment. They are evaluating your product as to; does it appear to be in good health?, does it appear to be a good price for the value? not "how does it compare to PlantMart's price?" So sell them for what you feel they are worth.

Right now my seedlings don't look so hot so I am not pushing them hard. I will hold onto them and promote them a little later when they are bigger and healthier. There is always a market (though smaller) for fill in plants. Plenty of home gardeners have crop failure or accidents or discover a new variety other than what they've planted. So you can market your left overs for quite a while after the spring rush.

• vegomatic
    17 years ago

My toms need a little more time as well. It's still too early here for outside planting, just had a little mini-blizzard today to drive that point home.

I just learned about a friend in another town who's got about the same plan as I do, except she has more invested. I'm getting known as the heirloom guy, so I'll keep to unusual varieties and not compete by selling the same stuff as everyone else.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner