Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimy_okra

25 twenty-foot rows of spinach?

Slimy_Okra
11 years ago

A question for you experienced growers - how many lbs of spinach do you estimate from this number of rows (harvested once as mature whole plants).

My plan is to harvest whole plants and put in eggplant in the vacant spaces as the weather warms. It's always a race with our short summers.

Comments (7)

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Out here the smartest thing I have seen other growers do is mass plant it, give it about 25 days and sell all of it, roots and all. Very little labor. Could you get several serial plantings like that?

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

wow, that's alot of spinach. I have trouble with just a little, not enough good stuff, I guess.

I know it takes alot of spinach to make a pound, but couldn't guess. I did look up 1 website regarding yield of spinach and found, in a high tunnel, you could expect up to 1 lb per sq ft. Hope this helps, it was just one site when I search yield of spinach.

Marla

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

I live and die for succession planting in the north! I love it! Personally I wouldn't put in later eggplant here since they wouldn't stand a chance, but there are many things that can go in after spinach. I have been keeping my greens beds in the same place due to afternoon shade, so I turn them under and put in Big N alfalfa, then turn that under in late August and seed more greens! I do alternate between the green types.

Other crops to go in succession plantings:
    bush beans
    zucs
    cucs
    cabbages
    carrots
    turnips

Since it is pouring outside I will go on...
    Here are some of my bed plans. I have 3.5 foot wide 'beds' that are 50 feet long. Starting on the one side-
    later plantings of corn have cover crop mixed alfalfas right now. I am doing 4 plantings of corn.
    One bed is ruties and kohlrabi for summer harvest and will be followed with cover crop. Next to that is turnips and radish which will have ruties for fall planted in late June.
    Then there are carrot and beet beds to switch in late summer to opposite carrots and beets. When I seed carrots I often seed cilantro too.
    Then I have a cabbage bed that will get Napa later and a Napa bed that will be late bush beans. The early bush beans will be followed by late cabbage. 2nd cucs will be seeded as peas are finishing. Spring onions will be pulled and later summer squash will go there. Lettuce and brassica greens beds will switch places mid summer. Carrots often do great after potatoes. Later potato beds are good for fall garlic planting. I leave lots of beds open for late summer alfalfa planting. I have the kind that does not survive winter for that. Brassicas can be transplanted right into it in spring next year. More than 1/3 of the garden will have legume crops/legume cover crops throughout the season even with all the successions.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Minnie, will you please send some of that rain down to me? We could use it, but I'm not asking for a flood like the last one we got.

Sounds like you've an organized garden plan.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

I love organizing and planning out my garden.

I forgot to build and ark to get me to market. I don't think anyone will go. The rain should stop at dinnertime but the wind is awful now too.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

We're hot and windy, thank goodness for the wind. Weatherman stated that we are in a August system, and I believe it except for the wind (we don't get even a breeze come August).

As far as organizing my garden, I doing good to keep the same varieties in the same row. Hopefully I haven't put enemies next to each other. I did get a sprinkler into the garden last night and move it this morning. The plants should be happier now. I'm sure the weeds are.

• Slimy_Okra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rustico, that's an interesting idea. I've heard of selling spinach 'on the crown' but didn't think it would appeal to consumers. I should give it a try - I do the labor intensive way of picking individual leaves, washing and bagging them.