Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_minnie

ran out of pots

little_minnie
12 years ago

I thought I bought 100 4 inch square pots and that would be enough for my tomato sales and the peppers would go in this and that pot 2-4" I had lying around. Well I only have 50 nice square pots and more tomatoes than that plus peppers! So I think I can srounge enough plastic pots for my tomatoes but I am thinking the peppers will have to be sold in the paper cups they are in (the large 9oz size). That isn't going to look as good. I wouldn't charge as much for them either. I can order 100-150 pots before next Thursday but it will cost about $30 with shipping and that isn't worth it. How do you think the paper cups will look? Sure will save time to not have to repot!

Comments (7)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

If you were me, I would sell them in the paper cups and explain to my customers that I just ran out of pots and ask if they have any laying around. I'm always afraid of running out of pots also. This year I had to spend $250 to get several truckloads of pots, just to get some of the size that I needed. Check out thrift stores and the like for used decent pots which will help next year.

Marla

• wordwiz
    12 years ago

Another good source is landscape companies. They go through hundreds of pots per season and most of them end up going to the dump. A small landscaping friend gives me 3-4 pots per year - anything from 2" to 6", square and round. I probably have a few hundred laying around upstairs and in the shed!

Mike

• californian
    12 years ago

If you are going to sell plants why mess around with scrounging up assorted used pots when you can buy brand new four inch square pots for 5.8 cents each if you buy them by the case of 880 pots. It looks so much more professional to have matching new pots.

• wordwiz
    12 years ago

californian,

Different strokes for different folks. I've been selling seedlings for years and never once has anyone looked at the pot - only the plants they were growing in. Unless one wants to "spread the wealth" why pay money for something that can be had for free or close to it?

I would love a link to the seller that offers 4" pots for less than 6â each. That half the price most suppliers charge for 2" pots. Someone will gain a new customer, especially if they offer 2" pots at a similar cost!

Mike

• californian
    12 years ago

Wordwiz, this topic was already discussed on another thread. The company is McConkey, but it was the consensus that since most of the posters on this board don't live on the west coast it would end up cheaper to pay more per pot at a local seller than buy direct from the manufacturer and pay shipping. I live 12 miles from one of their warehouses so shipping is not a problem for me, I pick the pots up myself at their will call window. I also bought a case of 1375 3.3 inch square pots at a cost of 4.6 cents each.
    BTW, I do recycle my own pots that I use for my own use or that some of my customer bring back to me. But I don't use pots that don't match, not when I can get them for the price I pay.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had enough 3-4 inch plastic pots for tomatoes (had to cut some of those big 6 pack ones) but am going to take my peps to market in cups this week. After some sell and I see how things go I will have enough large peat pots I bought for no reason to use for peppers. Right now I am out of sifted compost for potting since it has been raining for 3 days. sigh. I will report how the paper cup peppers sell. I think they look terrific as I started them too early and customers will love their size and flowers. I am keeping the littler ones for me.

• wordwiz
    12 years ago

californian,

All I can say is McConkey is infinitely cheaper than other sites. Their 4x4x3.5" pots are, according to you less than six pennies each. Every other site I could find that offered this size was asking 40 cents each, but they did not offer a case deal. Most purveyors offer 10-15% savings but McConkey is breaking the mold with their ~86% discount! I don't blame you for buying from them - I'll give them a call Monday. Maybe they will have the 2" pots for 2.9 cents each!

Mike

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus