Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_il

Severe weather check in

joe-il
12 years ago

Had a nice hailstorm/ windstorm take out a lot of my outside tomatoes. Tunnel survived. 70 mph wind 1/2 dollar hail. lot of things tore up. Had a great looking garden going until sunday nite.

I know Jay is probably getting rocked right now. hope its not too bad in ks.

Comments (3)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

I think all is well here. I can see all the tunnels in the flashes of lightning. I will go out and check them in the morning or after it stops raining. We were lucky to miss the brunt of the storms.

We are really soggy. I have many transplants to go in. The plastic mulch is in, just going to be mudding them in this weekend.

Jay

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    12 years ago

I have had it with all this rain!

It is the end of May and I do not have anything successfully growing yet!

For the past two months it has rained almost every day. Not only has it been raining but the temperatures have been cold, for the time of year.

My hoophouse has been flooded several times this spring, usually with around a foot of water. Have been able to till some areas but before I can even think of planting anything a storm comes through and does away with any hope of planting anything. The few things that I have planted, did not come up at all or came up and just sat there.

I am sick of almost getting my truck, trailer and tractor stuck whenever we try to till somewhere. Wish I would have planted some rice by now then I could actually have something growing:)

Sorry for all the complaining. Just had to get it out. At least at some point I know I should be able to get my warm weather stuff in, but there are a lot of farmers that may have a complete loss for this year. If the farmers around here are not able to get there corn in, in about a week then it is going to be too late to plant and will be a total loss for them. I can not imagine how frustrated they must be right now. It is terrible to see all the fields just sitting there, this time of the year.

I hope things are going a lot better for everyone else.

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

It had FINALLY just gotten to where I could plant--and school is almost out to where I can dedicate proper time to the farm---Storms, wind, hail, and flash floods yesterday. We were almost blown off the road coming back yesterday. Limbs everywhere, trees down, couple semis blown away. Electricity out and a tornado evacuation during our school's honors night. Fun Fun. Still, I'm thankful--- and sympathetic for all those towns suffering from spring's ravages. Spring crops here have pretty much become a thing of the past. I replanted some but am afraid hot weather will set on as it did last year and cook the remainders. Once again, most things have drowned or languished in the cold, sunless weather, but I'm still better off than last year. Working on weed control in the perennials now before laying tons of mulch.