Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

here we go again

brookw_gw
11 years ago

Anyone else drowning? I thought this would finally be the year when I could get everything out at a decent time. Guess not. We had nearly 5 inches of rain this week, and it looks like more is on the way. Had to detour again to get to the farm. We had gotten an inch and a half, which wasn't too bad. Then another half inch fell, which did set us back a little, but Saturday's storm dumped 3 inches overnight. Temps have been upper 80's all week, and it is really steamy. I may be late again, but I'm sure thankful I don't have anything but spring crops in the field. I really don't want to have to replant as much as I did last year.

Comments (6)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Got 3" last night, driveway flooded over. first time in years. Planted garden yesterday and water the plants alittle, evidently Mother Nature thought they needed more.

Marla

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

I will take half of what you got. We keep getting "Chances" of rain. Those chances seem to turn into misses almost every time. We are starting to get dry. Too early in the year to say that! :(

Jay

• henhousefarms
    11 years ago

Heard you boys in SI got a little more rain than up here - have you ever considered fish farming?? At least it looks like no more rain for the rest of the week (after tonight) so maybe by the weekend you'll be dried out enough to get busy. You got a lot more that we did up here - funny what a few miles will do. I tilled a little this evening and the ground was just a little damper than I would have liked but wanted to get some squash in.

Tom

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so envious. Right now I'm growing algae and green manure. I hear there's a market for algae--at least some red kind. It could be worse, a town on the other side of the county got 5 inches, and the north end got hammered w/hail. It's apparently been a great spring for berries because mine are loaded beyond belief, and I can't imagine losing them to hail. My goal is to get something in the ground in May for the first time in 4 years that I don't have to replant in June and then again in July. I can't wait for the day when I get a couple of Jay's high tunnels, but I need a pond and a building first.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

That is the main reason I have high tunnel. It pretty much doesn't matter the weather outside, things can still be planted inside. I wish I would have put them up on Raised pads, I get some run in (during big rains) but for the most part I work no matter the weather. It really helps me manage my work time. If they call for rain later in the week, I try to work outside earlier in the week. Then work inside later in the week. There is always something to do!

We could use some rain. The wheat is just starting to turn. Some people think they could be cutting wheat by the end of May. In all my years, I have never seen or heard of that happening.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Jay, we hadn't got rain for quite awhile, then 2 real good soaking rains. Then this last one, the ground has absorbed most of it today, but yesterday everywhere was standing in water. We just missed out on the hail, which is great for me. I've been carrying things out of the greenhouse and I'll be glad for Mother Nature to start taking over some of that work. We did get alot of the garden in the morning before the big rain and most didn't get rained out, which I'm grateful.

I think they're calling for some more rain later this week, with cooler temps, only in the 60s for highs.

Marla

Sponsored