Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple hull peas

Posted by gardenerwannabe6 OK (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 23:47

I just planted some purple hulls for the first time. I'm wondering if anyone else has grown these and how did you market them??? Did you sell them as snaps or shell them?? How did they sell?? Thanks in advance.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple hull peas

hello,
i have not grown em but last year at the local market i sold at they were sellin em by the big blak trashbag full if i remember corectly they were some shellin em for 3 maybe 4 dollars a pound and like 22 a bushell just goin by memory. i wanted to grow em this year but have not been able to find em locally

o

I first heard about purple hulls this year from a good friend of mine who is originally from Arkansas. I did a lot of research on them and found out they are related to crowder peas and blackeyed peas both with which I am familiar. So, I went down to the seed store and bought a pound of them and will be planting them this week. Looking forward to trying them out as I hear they are quite tasty. Also wanted to know what kind of price they command. There is even a festival dedicated to them in Emerson, AR.

http://www.purplehull.com/growingpeas.htm

They're in the Vignus genus, like yardlong beans.

I'd love to hear more about growing them, eating them and pricing them.

Thanx!

o

They grow good in Oklahoma, shell them and eat them like black eyed peas, they are crowder peas as far as I know. My uncle in mississippi grew them all the time and thats what he called them. Those and collard greens grow good in our red clay. Its what my southern family lived on for generations, originally brought to the south by the slaves.

o

I have grown purple hull peas for year. Just finished up this year's crop. A purple hull is simply a black-eyed pea with a purple hull when it ripens (instead of being yellow.) When you cook purple hulls, the juice is dark colored instead of clear. I sold them for $25 a bushel. I know people who sell peas for $2 a pound - unshelled at the farmer's market, but that's a little steep for most people. It has been terribly dry here this year, so my garden was later than usual. I used drip irrigation and had good peas with fewer than usual stinkbugs. The heat did make the harvest shorter than normal. I will grow them again in the fall and will probably do better in the cooler weather. (High 90's, up to 100 now)

o

• Posted by capt44 zone 7 central arkan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 1:44

I've grown purple hull peas for years here in Arkansas.
The hardest part is keeping the deer out of the pea patch.
Purple Hull peas here are selling around $25.00 a bushel.
But there is a very big difference between a purple hull pea and a black eye or crowder pea.
You can tell the folks that shell out the peas for there thumbs will be purple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here