Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herboil

License Question( general, not by state)

herboil
16 years ago

Yes, I am aware it differs by state.

What is the LOW DOWN?

What are you, paying per year, for government licenses and taxes on your farmers market stands.

I thought the whole idea was to avoid the informalities. But apparently I could end up in big trouble if I sell basil and sage without a live plant license, or sell eggs or cream pies without a commercial kitchen license.

Can anyone shed some light?

I will be selling near Atlanta suburbs with smaller town markets near Roswell and Alpharetta. Any information is much needed.

Comments (6)

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

My home food processing license is $10 a year. The yearly water test required for the license is $25 and the septic system inspection is free. My license covers specific things.

I don't need a license for eggs. My greenhouse license is $25 a year.

• anniew
    16 years ago

I have a nursery license that allow me to sell plants...$40.

I also need to collect sales tax (6%) on plants and cut flowers (not fresh food), but getting that number doesn't require a fee.

No license needed for eggs, but there are regs.

Kitchen license needed if selling anything processed, with commercial kitchen license needed on many things. I don't do them so don't know costs. Creme pies fall in the commercial realm.

I also have liability insurance which is simply a rider on my homeowners policy...$30 for the rider...covers my stand and farmers market.
    Ann

• reagantrooper
    16 years ago

We dont need no stinking license!!

• moonblooms
    16 years ago

I pulled out my paper that we had to list all of our products that we grow and it states: "It shall be unlawful for any municipality to charge the farmers or others engaged in the production of farm products of whatever nature, any license fee, for the sale or other disposition of said articles produced by them at any place." This code is entitled NO LICENSE FOR FARM PRODUCERS CHARGED TO FARMERS. We had to have it notarized and filed with the county. After studying it, it looks more like a license that says we don't need a license. Just more government bureaucracy. At least there wasn't a fee.

• paveggie
    16 years ago

Regarding moonblooms' situation: There is likely a difference between a municipality trying to require a "license" than state (Dept. of Ag.) regulations. You would need to check the State regs to be accurate. In some states the requirements are less stringent on community farm markets as opposed to completely commercial situations.

For example, the cream pies: there likely are differences between having a home/farm kitchen certified/licensed and a commercial operation. Cream pies are one of those tricky products that have to be handled just so or there is a major health issue. The major baker at our market does not ever bring cream pies because there is no refrigeration, etc.

• allotmentgardeners
    16 years ago

At my local market there are 3 types licenses not all vendors need all the licenses
    1. standard business license aka so to pay income taxes. no sale tax on produce.
    2. health certificate on both prepared food and farm produce
    3. prepared food heath certificate means you taken course on handing and storage of prepared foods and have been inspected.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor