Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Winter Squash Questions and Update

After working the ground a little wet, renting a tractor tiller to work the rows and planting the seed by covering it with clods, I have the starts of a really good winter squash crop.

I got exactly what I needed for this crop to come up a 1.5 inch rain that took all night to fall. It softened the soil, broke up the clods and gave the seeds enough moisture to germinate. I would say I have 60-70 percent of the field up, the rest is just coming up.

I got the drip irrigation put in and it is running too! I wish it was buried, but it will work.

I have several questions.

1) Does anyone have good experience with killing off velvet leaf? I knew this may be a problem, but I was reluctant to put down a pre-emergant herbicide. I couldn't throw more money into this endeavor. My wife already thought I spent too much!

2) What wholesale prices have you been getting from stores and what prices have you been getting at farmers markets for Acorn, Butternut, Spaghetti, Sweet Dumpling and Delicita squash.

I know what others have been getting at markets, that is what I figured my expenses on, but I am going to look into some wholesale pricing too, just to cover my bases if I get a really good crop.

Thanks,

Jay

Comments (2)

Sponsored