Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeyvegies

shaping beds

joeyvegies
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
longtime lurker, first time poster...

I am currently planning for my first season market gardening. (I'm in Australia so it's mid-Winter here.)

I've worked on a few different vegetable farms and read as much as I can so pretty excited to get started. I have a few borrowed acres, a small polytunnel, use of a tractor for initial cultivation, and a few hand tools.

Anyway, I'm wondering what different methods you all use for shaping up your beds or if you grow on the flat? I won't be able to afford a tractor bedformer this year, but I would like semi-raised beds as I think it will be pretty wet in the patch where I'm growing.

Also.. any other southern hemisphere growers lurking on here? Would love to hear from you.

Comments (6)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I grow on the flat, I don't have a real problem with wet ground. You probably need raised if a wet area. We did try one year with a few small beds by just using our tiller, then raking the ground from the sides to the top over and over. Hard work, but got it done. Decided it wasn't for us, too dry. We didn't put board sides on.

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

I built a bed shaper this year by cutting a 6 foot grader blade in half then building a tapered shaper pan. I bought a lot of the steel new and built a plastic mulch layer on the back of it for around 300.00 but I had a shop full of tools to work with.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

i used a potato hiller (2 discs on a tool bar) to form raised beds for sweet potatoes, but it doesn't form a flat topped bed unless you follow it with rake.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I make raised beds with our Disc hiller too, here are some we just made to plant tomatoes today. I couldn't run along the outside, so I had to shovel and rake them up.

This is what our disc hiller looks like. This isn't my tractor, I tried it out with my parents tractor at their farm. I have a little Kubota B7100, it works just fine with it too!

We get flat topped beds if we widen out the disks and driver really fast.

Here are some raised beds we did last year for our winter squash. We laid drip tape on the ground, covering it up every 20 to 30 feet with a shovel full of dirt and then we came back and made the raised bed over the drip tape. When we turned on the drip tape, it really wetted the whole raised bed.

Here is half of the very flat field.

Jay

• joeyvegies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks folks,
    that's all really helpful. I have seen discs used like that before following a tiller and it seemed to work well. Guessing that would also be a cheapish option for people like me who don't have a full shop for building things.
    I especially like the idea of throwing the dirt onto pre-laid drip tape - great idea Jay.

Some farms I have worked at have done a lot of labour intensive shovelling of dirt out of the paths etc so I'm keen to find a better way.

Also wondering on a small scale for the first year if I can just use a furrower on a wheel hoe.. I think some people use them to hill potatoes?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I used a KY cultivator make mini-hills a few years ago. I also planted my onions with it. Made 1 furrow, tossed the onion sets into it, and covered it with another furrow throwing over the first.