Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow hydrponicly?

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 6:03

Just wondering. Thinking I could justify heat in the GH this winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow hydrponicly?

There are a couple of guys up here that are doing it, but they don't have much during Jan/feb. Whether they make money or not, I can't say. I'll look up their sites and email you.

o

I'm also interested in this topic. I am starting hydroponically with lettuce and herbs.

myfamilysfarm, could you please send me the info as well? Thanks!

o

Since others were interested.

In Indiana, west central part, there were 2 people that used to use the high tunnels. I know one did state that he was growing lettuces hydroponically, at least 1 year. I'm not sure if he is still or not. His prices were much higher than most customers wanted to pay, from what I seen. But he also had a free tunnel made for him, and he had LOTS of money backing him.

Since I'm not in that market any longer, I don't know what he is doing, except growing like hotcakes. But then again, as I stated, he had plenty of backing, financially.

I'm sure if you researched the internet, you could find sites that could help you.

I believe different areas and conditions will determine whether it's really worth it or not.

o

Thanks for the info. I don't see how it could be profitable. Costs are much higher than dirt and heating anything in Indiana is gonna hurt.

o

i think the only crop that would be profitable is tomatoes.

o

The one person that I know was growing hydro, changed over to tomatoes in 5-gal buckets.

o

My market has one hydro tomato guy. He has the first tomatoes every year, but they are really awful. He picks them green and gasses them with ethylene to turn them pink. They are flavorless mush, but people still buy them because they are the first tomatoes.

I would really like to experiment with early spring hydro tomatoes by super-insulating a section of my greenhouse and using a grow light as the heat source. I think I can do it, but I also have a tendency to underestimate by far the amount of time that projects like this will earn back the expense of building them.

o

I've been thinking about putting a 10x10 pop-up canopy inside of my 22x45, then wrap it with plastic with a heater inside. Just afraid of what the heat bill might be.

I have a 10x10 that is broken, but could be made into a non-pop-up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here