Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Anyone grow hydrponicly?

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

Just wondering. Thinking I could justify heat in the GH this winter?

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

There are a couple of guys up here that are doing it, but they don't have much during Jan/feb. Whether they make money or not, I can't say. I'll look up their sites and email you.

• myarr
    10 years ago

I'm also interested in this topic. I am starting hydroponically with lettuce and herbs.

myfamilysfarm, could you please send me the info as well? Thanks!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Since others were interested.

In Indiana, west central part, there were 2 people that used to use the high tunnels. I know one did state that he was growing lettuces hydroponically, at least 1 year. I'm not sure if he is still or not. His prices were much higher than most customers wanted to pay, from what I seen. But he also had a free tunnel made for him, and he had LOTS of money backing him.

Since I'm not in that market any longer, I don't know what he is doing, except growing like hotcakes. But then again, as I stated, he had plenty of backing, financially.

I'm sure if you researched the internet, you could find sites that could help you.

I believe different areas and conditions will determine whether it's really worth it or not.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I don't see how it could be profitable. Costs are much higher than dirt and heating anything in Indiana is gonna hurt.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

i think the only crop that would be profitable is tomatoes.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

The one person that I know was growing hydro, changed over to tomatoes in 5-gal buckets.

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

My market has one hydro tomato guy. He has the first tomatoes every year, but they are really awful. He picks them green and gasses them with ethylene to turn them pink. They are flavorless mush, but people still buy them because they are the first tomatoes.

I would really like to experiment with early spring hydro tomatoes by super-insulating a section of my greenhouse and using a grow light as the heat source. I think I can do it, but I also have a tendency to underestimate by far the amount of time that projects like this will earn back the expense of building them.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've been thinking about putting a 10x10 pop-up canopy inside of my 22x45, then wrap it with plastic with a heater inside. Just afraid of what the heat bill might be.

I have a 10x10 that is broken, but could be made into a non-pop-up.