Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

First day of market is upon us

2ajsmama
10 years ago

and I have nothing to bring! At least I don't think I do. Spinach is bolting though it's not that large, if I harvested all of my kale it would just make a few bunches, lettuce is an inch tall, radishes aren't bulbing (too much N?), chard and beets just coming up - all planted (or replanted) a month or so ago.

I do have some jams and jellies (I forget, roughly a dozen grape have set, 6 blueberry, maybe a dozen leftover pepper jellies in 4 different varieties, 8 blackberry I made the other day with frozen berries) and some tomato plants (ones in 1 gal pots look really good but I had a sign out yesterday when there was a lot of traffic from Strawberry Fest and no one came by - it could be too late).

I have to replant about 2 dozen tomatoes since they look really bad after 2 weeks of rain, and still have to get my peppers out (about 50) now that weather looks good (only 2 days with T storms predicted this week). Squash and cukes are getting true leaves and look unaffected by all this rain so maybe in about 1 month I'll have something.

Oregano is going crazy and my cousin just gave me a couple gal pot of mint to transplant - I guess I can bring some sprigs (or pots?) of each?

Blueberries aren't showing any color yet, neither are raspberries but they're almost full sized. Blackberries will take longer. Been picking strawberries all week, but don't know how many pints I'll have to take to market on Wed - I wouldn't bring anything picked before Monday. I do have 5 pints(about 3lb) in fridge now picked Friday night and yesterday, more will be ripe today. Should I make jam with those? Might be able to pick another 6 pints in 3 days before market to sell fresh? I know it doesn't sound like much, just odds and ends.

I would like to be there for first day so people will see me, but then if I have to drop out for a few weeks, will it make a difference? Should I just go when I can bring stuff every week? Paying $20/week.

Comments (32)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Take flyers with what SHOULD be coming in, with name/address and such. Print off pictures of the plants NOW to show that you should have. This might be your 'get to know you' week.

As far as strawberries already picked, if you are not going to selling, YES jam them. That's what I'm doing with the ones that don't sell, or I won't sell due to quality.

The mint springs, the Amish call "mint tea", and its just a small bunch of twigs. Remember to print off recipe of how to use it.

I heard that strawberries along the east coast will be limited due to some kind of disease, so don't under-sell them. You sell in pints? I usually do quarts, it's what people usually ask for. I might try the pints, I still have plenty (900+) with lids.

Good luck with first market. Hoping for nice weather, warm but not too warm.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got about 350 pint baskets at the church (this being the first year I haven't had a Friday market, I helped hull the 700 lbs they bought) so that's what I have. Organic strawberries are going for $5/lb so my app. 9.5oz pints I figured would sell at $3 each - if/when I have fresh (they won't keep more than a few days since I pick them ripe, so I don't want to sell anything already picked). I sell cherry tomatoes for that (pint price, they weigh more so about $4/lb). Figured I could use the pint baskets for strawberries and tomatoes at least, they are a little too much of an open weave for blueberries, raspberries and blackberries - and I sell blackberries for $5/pint, blueberries for $4. Nice thing about open baskets vs clamshells is that I don't have to print labels - and these were free, and I got enough I can leave them in them, last year I was pouring cherry tomatoes from cardboard pints into paper lunch bags once people bought them, so I could save the baskets for display.

Lots of flooding here - we went out for breakfast and to buy DS some hiking boots, cornfields are flooded in Simsbury, don't know how the big PYO strawberry place down the road is. Do you think I should ask more?

Do you think I have enough to bring with 14 jars of grape, of Blueberry Lime (could make a few more, I have 1 gal of frozen berries, I was thinking maybe adding mint?), 8 Blackberry, and 6-7 of Strawberry? Have 11 pepper jellies, 5 of 1 kind (mild red pepper) and a couple each of some spicier ones.

I probably have 8-10 Brandywines in gal pots, and another dozen in 3.5" pots, plus 6 or so Rose de Bernes, 9 Black Krims, 10 Cherokee Purples in 3.5-4.5" pots. The rest (paste tomatoes and cherries) I'm using to replant some that look bad from all the rain (couple of cherries also had stems broken from wind).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I'd take everything you have.

How about Mint Jelly? Use a apple juice base, but you will need extra pectin. The commercial sugar free apple juice just doesn't seem to have ANY pectin. I've tried and got Apple Syrup, which the grandkids like.

Any time I have extra time and energy, I'm either looking for recipes or preserving. Plus finding canning jars and getting them cleaned up. I like to have the all clean and then I put covers on them, so much easier to just need to rinse and sterilize, instead of washing, rinsing and sterilizing. I don't have a dishwasher, except the Manual kind. All winter, we clean up jars to make it 1 step easier during canning season.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

we've been selling strawberries in qts ($5) & pints ($3). the guy selling next to us at one of the markets had strawberries he was reselling for $5/pint. no problem selling out of whatever we brought.
    how far away is the market?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, you think mint jelly would sell this time of year? I think of that as a spring with roast lamb kind of thing. But Blueberry Mint or Strawberry Mint maybe? I'm making strawberry shortcake tonight for Father's Day, we were talking last night about my grandmother's biscuits (though I might just do Bisquick Low Fat recipe) and I picked 4 pints of berries tonight (didn't look like I left that many that close after picking yesterday. I put a sign up at the highway, might not get too much traffic tonight/tomorrow, but if they don't sell I can make preserves Tuesday for Wed market. Thinking of telling people to use it as shortcake/ice cream topping though I don't know if I can label it as such - laws are really restrictive on what residential farmers can sell (though I don't know of restrictions on using low/no sugar pectin).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

How about just canning the strawberries in a light syrup for people that want that 'strawberry shortcake' experience? I know some people that would LOVE to have it off-season.

In Indiana there are some low/no sugar restrictions, but I don't know what they are. One more thing to ask the Board of Health guy that shops the market.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that's what I wss thinking with preserves, just chunks in a light syrup, just heated enough to can not gel. but people would probably want pints then and I don't think I can charge double what a halfpint of jam would be.

We'll have to see what I can get done. I'm a pretty good 1-handed typist, but I burnt fingers of left hand tonight (dumb, picked up casserole lid w/o potholder) so now I don't know how I'm going to get tomatoes and peppers planted (heck, even carrying flats out there since too muddy to drive). I think I might be able to can 1-handed.

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

What about baking?

I can a strawberry sauce. 2 quarts crushed berries and 6 cups of sugar. This is a jam recipe with no pectin but some years the berries get a lot of rain and are watery and the jam won't set (I never use pectin but cook my jam down) so those times it becomes sauce and it is delicious! Makes 8 half pints.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you share your jam/sauce recipe minnie? Just berries and sugar but what about cooking time? Set overnight to absorb syrup? Can't sell baked goods w/o commercail kitchen & bakery license.

sorry getting harder to type as ice pack isn't as cold any more and other hand is really hurting now time to take Tylenol.

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

Really? Here we can sell shelf stable baked goods at market but not outside of market.

Take the crushed berries and sugar and bring slowly to boil. Stir occasionally. Let it boil good for about 40 minutes or more for thicker jam or less for sauce - skim top foam and stir when needed. Pour into sterilized jars and boil 5 minutes per recipe but 10 min per Dept of Ag. I do scant 3 buckets of berries crushed to make 6 quarts and 18c of sugar. Makes 24 jars. So if I go pick 3 buckets I can eat a few and make 24 jars.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

How about uses for strawberry pulp? I strained some berries to make juice and hate throwing away the pulp.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can make that into jam.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Radishes are tricky. I noticed that early planted radishes bulbed up nicely this year, while the second generation bolted before they ever sized up. Our weather has been cool but the days are just too long.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hopefully I'll have lettuce, can also bring kale, Asian greens and the radishes next week, as well as the last of the strawberries.

Did better than the market I've been at the last 2 years (most days, hope this to pick up some more as I have more to offer). Most people have their tomatoes in the ground, I did sell 3 tomato plants and 3 pepper plants, have to count how many jams and jellies but I'm a bit disappointed I only sold 2 pints of fresh-picked (hours before) strawberries for $3 each. I could have sold another but I don't take checks (what do you do if it bounces?). Conventional farm across the aisle had quarts of strawberries that from a distance didn't look really ripe. DD checked them out and said they were $6 so same price but people were buying there - including 1 guy who was debating whether he wanted 1 pint or 2, he had me put 1 aside for him but then he never came back, I saw him buy a quart of theirs.

Do people not know English units of measure? Are large pink hard berries more desireable (b/c they'll keep longer? So this guy didn't have to worry they wouldn't get eaten fast enough?) than ripe red berries that may be a little smaller (I mean, not as small as wild berries, I thought there were a good mix of large ad small in the pints, but most of my king berries had been picked already, I'll be lucky if I get another week out of my bed)?

Guess I have to make more strawberry preserves - might try for regular old strawberry jam this time instead of the loose preserves with mint - people were asking about it, but I only had 5 jars and they didn't sell out (I think 2 sold?).

This might be a good market if I can get produce harvested - though most people didn't show up til 5:30 and it ends at 6, there were some customers early, unlike the Friday market that started at 3:30 last year.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about the strawberries. I've observed that customers gravitate towards the booth that has the largest amount of a product available, no matter what it looks like (within limits). I noticed sales improving somewhat when I vertically stacked my produce and filled up the horizontal space with other stuff, giving the impression that I had more available.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sure a lot of people didn't see the strawberries since they were front and center but had cases of jelly to one side and tomato plants to the other on the same table. Just don't know what it was with this guy - maybe they could easily give change for $20 while I was hesitant early on (and he didn't want to walk around with them either, that's why I said tell me how many you want and I'll put them in the cooler with the other pint I'm holding for someone).

And yes, this other farm had lots of berries (and greens) and a banner with their name across the back of the EZ Up. I haven't gotten to the point where I can spend the $ for a professional sign. Wish we still ha old ink jet printer that took fan fold paper I'd make my own LOL.

I have to remember these are established vendors (decades in area, and returning to this market for 2nd or 3rd year), this was my first day as brand new vendor at this market and I have to make a name for myself with quality if I can't with quantity (or size). If the tomatoes do as well as last year that will be no problem, but I don't know with this weather...

There were a lot of people taking pix for local newspaper, the market's Facebook page, etc. and the paper asked for some brief info (where we are located, I told her 100 yrs this April family farm, on county line) so maybe I'll get some PR.

Market manager bought $12 worth from me -maybe she likes to try out new vendors' products, or maybe she just liked the looks of my stuff?

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

My sign is made with the Crickcut cutter thing. Then each letter is tied together with matching yarn. My colors are blue and yellow and gingham so it all matches. I suppose a pro sign made on that rubbery stuff might look more professional.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

i take checks. in 20+ years had only 1 that bounced. i called the woman who bounced it and read her the riot act. she replaced it.
    one market day doesn't mean much in the long run.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Randy - I did ask another vendor (farmer 4 miles up the road from me, the one whose DH offered me maple syrp in exchange for plants - I should have taken him up on it). She said get phone number and/or driver's license. So I guess I'll set up a bank account in farm name (should do that anyway, but since it's mostly a cash business and we do our banking online with USAA in TX I haven't bothered). I always wondered about the bounced check fee and such, how to get that paid (as well as original amount), figured stores that take checks have a service. I even figured there was an app for checking that a check was good (I know there are apps for credit card processing) but I don't have a smartphone.

I actually hope this is indicitive of this market - I know I can't hope to get more customers when market first opens at 3, given it's a mid-week market (unless some people are on vacation that week, but then experience is that tourists don't buy much fresh produce, not veggies at least). But I grossed more yesterday( and also at the Grange plant sale beginning of month) than I did most weeks at my old market. Now I just have to see if it keeps up and makes it worth the higher fee and 2x the mileage/gas.

My perfect market (I think) would still be the small (not much competition, b/c limited space) Sunday AM market in yuppie town close to my house - literalyl a mile away from my great-uncle's PYO blueberries (that I picked and sold for him last year when it was too hot for customers). That market also has a longer season, and I think a smaller fee. They might call me if they have table space a few weeks this year and I have berries.

Minnie - I don't want to spend the $ for a Cricut either ;-) But I did buy some (small) stencils, used them on the sign I put on the road this year, they're only about 3" tall. I could make up a "poster" with those and hang it.

Hmmm, maybe even stencil it on the lined/insulated side of some old curtains that had been cut I got on Freecycle, so I can run a bungee through the rod pocket and make a banner? I'll have to look for some larger stencils at the Dollar Store, b/c my handwriting (even print) is really sloppy - which is why I guess people don't seem to read my price list on the white board. I think I really do have to get the farm name up in big letters!

Strawberries not selling is really bugging me - esp. after I spent hours picking, sorting, weighing to get same amount in each pint, ripest berries on top so they didn't get squished, etc. One little girl said to her mom they were "so small" - most are the size of the first joint of my thumb, some are only as big as the thumbnail but perfectly shaped (I sorted out all the buttoned ones and ones with dense seedy patches). Just not the silver-dollar sized ones you get in grocery store. DD just says "more for me!" - she's been taking 6 or so (depending on size) to school every day for almost 2 weeks now and hasn't tired of them.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Nowadays, people expect the large berries, only one that I've had that commented on the smaller berries was 'those look like homegrown, since there is all sizes'. You don't find various sizes in stores.

Established vendors will 'win' out over newbies, for awhile. You may need to undercut them, just a little. maybe $5.75 instead of their $6.00. I hate to say that, but I do remember when I was the new little guy.

Add a table if it gets too crowded for people to see everything. Vertical does help. For berries, one year, I found a stair-step rack and placed the berries on it. Sold faster than usual, plus I had place in back for extra.
    Gives the jelly a 'jewel tone' that draws people. I put 2 out per row, with my sample jar behind them closer to me. I use plastic spoons for taste samples that I give out. That way, I can throw the used spoons away AND not have any double-dipping.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't give samples unless I find an insulated water jug with a spigot that stays on for handwashing, plus pay $100 for a seasonal food service permit.

Someone did comment on the vibrant colors of the preserves and jellies. I forgot to bring my small wooden crates I stack them on (have to find a small staircase thing), was just crazy yesterday picking sorting boxing packing then taking a shower so I could get going as soon as DD got off the bus.

Next week I'll pack the EZ Up, table, jellies and display items in the truck the night before so all I have to do is pick and pack fresh stuff that day.

I never had problems selling blueberries and blackberries in pints, but everyone else sold them in that size too. I think people are used to strawberries in quarts or by the lb, and of course the larger berries. I do have some quart baskets and some 1 lb (ish, they're from tomatoes) clamshells, but I don't know about putting the small "homegrown" berries in those large containers - esp since the quart baskets aren't much larger on the bottom than pints, I'm afraid they'll get crushed from weight of berries on top.

Just got done hulling 2.5lbs of berries (cut the larger ones in 1/2) with 4C sugar and 4Tbsp lemon juice. Should I add mint to these when I can them (probably tomorrow AM when I reheat - after dinner I'll just boil these briefly) and make more of the same (sold 2 jars out of 5 yesterday), or should I make something different? Can't add powdered pectin since I already put sugar in, and I'm trying to keep these "organic" since I went to the trouble of squeezing organic lemons rather than using stuff in bottle.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I think I'm going to have about a dozen of each variety before I quit that variety. Just did up some sugar-free (splenda) strawberry jam, only did 6 of the sugar-free since it takes so much more fruit.

I found 2" round labels at Staples yesterday, just the right size to place on regular mouth lids within the ring. I might try those out, since I'm having a hard time finding more jars with smooth sides.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just use the full sheets and cut them out. I don't recall if it's cheaper, but then I can use them for square or rectangular pot labels, clamshells, etc. I think tat Wmart is actually a little less than Staples and it's closer. Wish BJ's carried them.

Here's what I just picked (not much since I picked everything that was close to ripe yesterday) with quarter for reference.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

great looking berries. the size looks fine to me.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I had just left WM and was closer to Staples when I thought about them. WM has such a slim selection on office supplies, plus I get a discount from Staples. also found them on sale with easyrebate. I use the rebates to help buy the grandkids school supplies when on sale.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Randy.

Marla - if you don't mind cutting you might want to compare price of full sheet at Staples vs the round labels.

Bought a dozen lids at WM in Avon tonight since I was down there buying birthday gift for cousin's DD. $1.78! 20 cents more than Torrington but I'm not going to T. until next week to pick up Rx and I'm making more jam, wanted to make sure I had enough. But grocery store next to WM was $2.19!!!

I'll have to check TSC (not that I'm there often) or hardware stores. Thinking of buying online but I don't know how many I'd have to buy. Guess a gross wouldn't take up that much room. But might last me quite a while if people don't return jars and I have to buy new jars anyway. DH says just wait til end of season to buy, I know TSC has good prices then but catching them before they sell out is hard.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

You don't need to buy a gross of lids, just a sleeve. Sleeves are different amounts per place.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how many in a typical "sleeve" that's why I figured worst case a gross. But I didn't even open the dozen we bought last night, made strawberry preserves this AM, prepped 6 jars which is all I had empty to reuse (I still have unopened boxes of jars) and actually had 7 lids. Let berries sit all day yesterday, boiled 3 minutes around 5PM, let sit another 13 hours with dishtowel over pan, took berries out and boiled syrup til it was heavy (did plate test and it set), added berries brought to full boil, took off and let sit 5 min before starting to fill jars and I still have float! Also maybe I'm too generous with fruit b/c Linda Z says 2.5lbs of berries and 4C sugar makes 3 pints, I only got 5 halfpints with fruit and 1 half pint that was almost all syrup (stuck that in fridge).

Anyway, I may use this dozen lids (plus 2 left over) if/when we start emptying more jars for our own use, but I also have a dozen lids and bands so I think I'm going to hold off ordering any lids.

Linda Z mentioned a jar manufacturer on her blog that has smooth jars, I haven't checked them out since I have 3 cases of Ball here (plus more quilted crystal). How did visit to factory outlet go?

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda Z's blog

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I haven't made it over to the outlet, but found out that that plant makes metal cans, instead of jars. So I don't think that's going to work out.

I did get to the Amish store and got some bulk sugar-free pectin. they had sleeves of lids, but forgot to look at price. They also carried Ball jars, at just a little less than the regular price elsewhere. I did find that Family dollar has Golden Harvest jars for about $7.50 for pints, they DO NOT have ceramic lined lids, so I would have to change the lids out. Dollar General has the exact same for $.25 more. The 2 stores are across the street from each other, so I'll be shopping F$. I need to check to see if WMs jars come with ceramic lined lids or not. If so, WM will be cheaper, if not F$.

• henhousefarms
    10 years ago

Marla -

I have a couple of cases of the Mainstay WM jars for honey and the lids have the white liner like the Ball lids. I assume they are ceramic lined ones but there is nothing on the box saying so. I really like the WM jars - make the labels nice and smooth. About the best price/jar I have found around here unless you catch some on the end of year clearance.

Tom

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

BTW I just had a friend with a Crickcut make my sign with me. I have also seen artistic people get that rubbery sign sheet stuff and paint it real cool.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Thanks Tom, the white inner lids is what I want. I guess I'll need to go to WM. I did ask a customer at market today if she had any. Her husband works for the recycle center and he brings home any canning jar to her. I'll probably trade her some produce or jelly for them.

Jelly not selling like hotcakes, but I have sold 3 pints. I really hate to price the sugar-free ones so much higher, but that's what it took for ingredients. I made some with Splenda, and wouldn't you know it, nobody wanted with Splenda. Some wanted NONE, others stevia and another one xyitol.