Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelise_m

Earthway pelleted carrot plate

kelise_m
10 years ago

Last winter I had decided that my big farm tool purchase for the year was going to be one of those $500+ six-row seeders. So I called up Johnny's to ask a couple questions and their tool guy recommended that I try their "pelleted carrot plate, not listed in the catalog, and about $500 less. Sounded like good advice, so I ordered one.

I've been through several plantings now, and the verdict is still out on the carrots (having trouble with the germination, maybe because I'm using all drip for the first time?) But what I wanted to share is that it's working absolutely fabulous for 'Hakurei' turnips and arugula. I've haven't had to thin any turnips this year (yay!) and the density is perfect for bunching arugula. Love it when stuff turns out great and hope this helps you too!

Comments (17)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Here is how we start carrots every year. We do multiple plantings and this system always works.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting carrots

• Mark
    10 years ago

Jay, if you lay the row cover down in 2-3 layers over the beds, you don't have to water so much. I germinate carrots in the heat of the summer this way (90F+-) and only water once every 4 days, not 4 times a day!

Kelise, thanks for the tip. I've heard of the mysterious "pelleted carrot plate' found only by asking for it, and wondered if it actually worked or if it just broke all the seed coating. I've been hand seeding all my small seeded greens for years now and have it down pretty good. I can seed a 4 row 100' bed in about 30 min., so the earthway usually just gets used for marking rows (and spinach).

-Mark

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Last summer when it was 100 plus degrees by 10 in the morning with a stiff 25-30 mph south wind day after day after day, it didn't matter how many times you watered, they just dried out(and so did I). I did get a great stand.

I will have to try your suggestion this year, that would be easier.

Jay

• kelise_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely going to try the two layers of row cover trick. I've been trying to get away with no overhead watering at all...so far not impressed with the results. The pelleted carrot plate doesn't break up the coating like the regular one does. Mark, I'm impress with your hand seeding speed, maybe we should call you the "Human Four Row Seeder"! Jay, I love the new cover photo on your blog, I haven't been there since you changed it. What a fine looking bunch of kids!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If you can hold one layer of row cover above the other by a small space, it will minimize evaporation even more because it prevents wicking and traps moist air between the two layers.

• Mark
    10 years ago

What do you suggest? Spray foam?

• andremachado17
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bought a earthway seeder 1001b and i discovered a pelleted seeds and i was so happy but pelleted carrot seeds doesnt work with earthway plates and i dont know how resolve that situation. Somebody know where i can buy the plate for thid seeds? I dont know where found more.

Thanks for watch and if could help me i apreciate

• andremachado17
    8 years ago

I think i found a solution. I m gonna show what i invented for resolve this problem on the next pictures

• jnjfarm_gw
    8 years ago

I need a little clarification. the OP says that "it is working great for hakurie turnips and arugula" Does this mean the pelleted carrot plate? Or what plate will work good for lettuce and turnips? Also good to know that the radish plate works for pelleted carrot seed

• jnjfarm_gw
    8 years ago

andre, have you tried this? And for what crops will this work? If this will work, it would be worth getting extra radish plates. I have plugged every other whole on my radish plate to have thinner radish plants.

• andremachado17
    8 years ago

I used just one time for plant pelleted carrot seeds and i think probably will work. The weather were in azores wasnt good how long many days but, rainnning, fog and wind. Im Waiting for the seeds grow up and watch the results. Bit with this tape just spend one seed for hole earthway plate

• andremachado17
    8 years ago

The 6 plates come with earthway seeder works for lettuce, carrots, beens, peas,etc. Just need read on earthway plate for what works

• andremachado17
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I suggest who have a great ideas about earthway plates and if want share with the houzz people will be a good experience and probably could help who dont know where find the solution.

Thanks everyone and have a nice day.

• marketgardenernorthernca
    8 years ago

I just made a pass once over with the Earthway radish plate. It seemed to drop the seeds at a reasonable spacing, but much of the pelleted seed coating was ground off the seeds. The actual seeds that fell into the soil seemed to be intact pellets, but when I went to dump out the rest of the unused seeds, about half of what I was dumping out was clay dust... Have you folks had an experience like this? What could be a solution? I can't seem to find anyone selling the pelleted seed plate for Earthway anymore, and some folks are suggesting that the Earthway is just not built for pelleted seeds, period. If that's the case, what is a better seeder for pelleted seed? Glaser? Jang?

• Mark
    8 years ago

My Cole/Planet Jr. works well with pelleted seeds. The only problem is that they seem to change the sizing on the pellets year to year so you have to check the seed pack for sizing and adjust accordingly. If I'm remembering right I use the #18 hole for size 11.5 seeds and the #19 for size 13. Sometimes I still have to do a little hand thinning but I prefer that rather than having a patchy/thin stand.

-Mark

• TOM A Z5a-IL.
    8 years ago

Were you planting radishes? Perhaps the pelleted seed was a bit of a tight fit for the plate you used.

Sponsored