Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
healingheartsfarm

Heirloom Potato Prices?

HealingHeartsFarm
11 years ago

I am growing several varieties of heirloom potatoes this year- all blue, yukon gold, mountain rose, la ratte fingerlings. It is my first year marketing potatoes (except for yukon golds). I am a certified naturally grown farm. Can any other market growers offer me input on prices?

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I don't find that heirloom potatoes are any different in price that regular potatoes. Anywhere from $1.00 to $3.00 per lb, depending upon market and newness. Haven't seen any certified naturally grown farms listed on any other vendors. You will need to check other's prices.

I never print my prices UNTIL after I've seen what other's are selling for. I do check what the grocery store's regular prices are, in case I'm the first in market. I always price my produce higher by at least 25 cents per pound than the regular price in grocery stores.

Marla

• HealingHeartsFarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have checked other vendors prices. They sell conventionally raised potatoes for about $1/lb. Mine are raised using organic methods and certified by "Certified Naturally Grown". CNG is a private/non-profit alternative to the USDA's organic program that certifies direct marketing growers. Certification requires that you follow the National Organic Program guidelines and pass an on farm inspection. I wasn't sure how to mark up my potatoes since I am the only certified grower at the market.

Thanks for the helpful input. I was thinking about $2-$2.50/lb.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I've checked out the Certified Natural Grown site when it first came out, and understand it's procedures and regulations.

After doing this for the past 13 years, I've found unless you are lucky enough to find those customers that want Organically grown items, you WILL not get more for your product, and If you do, you'll only get a few cents more per pound.

If you are 2x the price of everyone else, you will be pricing yourself out of the market.

So, if everyone is $1, then try $1.25. Chances are you might get it, but NOT $2-2.50/lb. Sorry, some areas will not justify paying double or more per pound.

Marla

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

i charge $2/lb for potatoes. it's a nice crop. it always eventually sells out.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

I think they should be called Gourmet potatoes not heirloom. Most potatoes are actually heirlooms strictly speaking.

I sell my fingerlings for $3 a quart IIRC. Maybe it was $2. Most 'organic' growers I know sell for $3 a pound.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

The question was what to charge, and I still believe that you can only charge what the market will pay. If you're in a market that prices at $1/lb, then chances are you won't get $2/lb. If you can, great, go for it, maybe others will follow you. I've had that happen, but I didn't start with 2x or more of what everyone else was charging, the market would not take it. Now after several years, we are at the 2 1/2X price on tomatoes, but other's haven't come in.

Marla

• HealingHeartsFarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most of my other produce is about double the price of other growers (that is how I guessed $2-$2.50/lb). So far, this hasn't been an issue. I have a pretty loyal clientele that buys from me because they know my farming practices. I should call them gourmet potatoes I guess. I am used to selling heirloom tomatoes, peppers, cukes, etc. Pretty new to potato marketing. Thanks for the advice. I will try $2-2.50/lb tomorrow and see how it goes.

• HealingHeartsFarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sold out! $2.50/lb. Thanks everyone! I marketed then as gourmet potatoes. The all blues and fingerlings drew a lot of customers.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Congrats, it would have not have made it around here.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Was it your existing customers who go for the CNG who bought them all, or do you think it was the "gourmet" label that did the trick?

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I forget, how many years do you have to wait to be Certified Natural Grown? I know it takes awhile, AND you have to be able to find another CNG grower to certified you. I couldn't find any local to me, at the time that I checked it out.

Marla

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

It is much less time than certified organic.
    Congrats on the selling at 2.50/ lb. Potatoes are a humdinger to grow in a market garden and dig yourself and then compete with farms who grow acres with machinery like I have here. They sell sacks of Russet Burbank (it is an heirloom like I was saying but so common!) for just a few bucks in late summer.
    At the store where I work we have little 24 oz bags of tiny specialty potatoes that don't sell great when not on ad. They are pricey. I think $5 regular price maybe.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living