Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1908

What prices are you asking this year?

gardener1908
14 years ago

Just curious what kind of prices you are asking/getting this year? What will you be asking for up coming crops?

Comments (37)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

Here in Kansas I have been getting the following prices.

New Potatoes 1.50/ pound Red Norland and Yukon Gold
    Pickling Cucumbers 1.50/ pound
    Broccoli 3.00/ pound
    Cauliflower 4.00/head
    Zucchini 1.25 each for 2 weeks, 1.00 for 3 weeks and now .75 each ( I have been picking these guys for a month.)
    Cherry tomatoes 2.00/pint
    Tomatoes 3.00/ pound
    Early green peppers $1.25 each
    Green onions $1.00 a bunch 7-8 in a bunch
    Beets 1.50/bunch 5-6 in a bunch
    Mixed greens 1.50/bag (over half a pound)
    Lettuce 1.00/bunch around half a pound
    Radishes .50 to 1.00 a bunch

Will be asking:
    Slicing cucumber .75-$1.00 each
    Green Beans at least $2.00/pound
    Hot Peppers 2.00/pound
    Okra 2.00/pound

• keltink
    14 years ago

Washed mesclun (up to 12 or so different ingredients each week) - $4.50 half-pound; $3 quarter-pound.
    Beets (four or five, washed w/tops): $3.50
    Green onions (7 or 8, washed): $2.50, but will drop price this week because market is flooded with them now
    Broccoli: $4 pound, $2.50 half pound bagged
    Cabbage: $2 a head
    Podding radish: $2 for one of those half baggies stuffed full
    Sorrel: $2 a bunch
    Cilantro: $2 a bunch
    New potatoes: $2 a pound
    Stir-Fry Bag: $6 (minature cabbage, broccoli shoots, podding radish, pepper, two shiitakes and a bunch of chard or baby beets)
    Honey, $15 quart, $8 pint, $5 honeybear
    Shiitakes: $6 half-pound
    In case it is helpful, I'd note that our prices for our markets are probably on the upper end. We use no synthetic chemicals on the veggies, plus our bees aren't treated with miticides, which sets us apart selling-wise.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

This year's prices are outrageous, but the customers' are not complaining.

New Potatoes $2.50
    Strawberries $5.00/qt
    Wild black raspberries $5.00 pt
    Cucumbers $1.00 each
    Romaine lettuce $2.00 to $2.50 depending upon size.
    Green beans $4.00/lb
    Sugar Snap peas, Snow peas, both $5.00/lb

these are the prices that I'm getting at this time.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

I have been selling my lettuce mix and arugula for $5.00 a bag (large freezer bag). Any ideas what to charge for different coloured cherry tomatoes and also baby carrots.? These are being sold to an upscale restaurant & caterer not at a farmers market. Any ideas would be appreciated

14 years ago

I think I should move! Some of those prices you are talking about are crazy high! Even with my lower prices, I still catch it from some bargain hunting customers.

Hanselmanfarms: Where are you selling your goods?

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

I am sellling in a bedroom community about 1/2hr outside of Vancouver British Columbia Canada. I was told if I sold to restaurants in downtown Vancouver I could probably get as much as $15.00 a bag for the lettuce mix - go figure. Once again any ideas for the tomatoes and carrots.
    Thanks

• andreaz6wv
    14 years ago

WOW. Some of those prices are crazy high. I'm with jrslick, I should move too :) Good for you if you get it.

My prices for what I have been selling so far:

Lettuces-$1 bag
    Radishes- .75 bunch
    Asparagus- $2.00 bunch (12-14 spears)
    Rhubarb- 6 stalks, good size $3
    Green onions- 3-4 bunch $1
    Cukes- .50 each
    Squash- 3/$1
    Blueberries,raspberries,bl. raspberries- $3.50 pint
    Strawberries- $3.50 quart

This is a downtown farmers market. It's on tuesdays/fridays 10-2. Some of us are not happy with hours/days, but the city has set the rules/guidelines. This is the 2nd year and what I have noticed is it's the same people every week, for the most part. I usually sell out or close to it, but it's still slow to me. For what I take I think in most places I'd be out in an hour or two.

Andrea

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm with everyone else, hanselman we all moving next to you!LOL I purchased my strawberries from a local grower as a draw because so many of my own crops (due to the crazy weather)were either done or not ready and I was lucky to get $3.25 per quart. Why do you think you are able to get such good prices. Is this at your farm or a market? Good for you!

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

I live on less than 1/4 acre on a corner lot in a residential area. We have made rock beds which have the herbs (I can sell a large freezer bag of fresh cut herbs for $8.00) and on the other side I have put in the lettuce, arugula, bush & pole beans, carrots (2 different varieties) mesculun mix and a variety of cherry tomatoes. We are having alot of new home construction going around us, so were lucky enough to get our pool (which was in dire need of repair) filled in for a case of beer. Back there I have 200 patty pan squash, beets, 6 ground cherry plants & 400 basil plants in pots (I just take cuttings and sell that). On our front deck I have planters with all edible flowers which the caterers are using for garnish (seems they are not using them any longer for salads). This year is the first year we have really utilized every bit of space. I can't sell at a farmers market as they require that I have a license. Last year I sold to a produce store (certainly not as much money) but he sold to a chain and I can't supply to all the stores. So I have a couple of caterers, restaurant and a deli. It is just enough considering our size, We are making double what we made last year considering I lost the produce store but I could only charge wholesale to him and he profited from the mark up.

• veggierosalie
    14 years ago

we raised our prices 15% this year.

Our farm is in zone 3-4 so we don't have anything ready to sell yet but this is an idea of what it will be this year:

new potatoes (Norland) $3.89/lb
    baby carrots bunch $4.95 ea
    green onion bunch (12) $3.50ea
    radish $3.50ea
    Rhubarb $3.00bunch
    Leaf lettuce $3.00 bag
    pickling cucumbers $2.95/lb
    herbs $3.00/bag

we sell at a farmers market and at the farm gate. Farmers market customers can be bargain hunters, but we always sell out.

• anoid1
    14 years ago

Keltink, I notice you sell sorrel. I am trying to grow it but it is not too appetizing looking. It starts out good and goes downhill from there. Odd leaves get all brown and rotten looking, it bolts and gets leggy. What do you do? I think slugs or ants chew holes in all the leaves? I'm lucky if I can get enough decent leaves for my own use from a dozen plants! Any insight would be appreciated.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

I think that sometimes no matter what your prices are you can find someone to complain about it. Last year people liked to complain about the prices of our beets and tomatoes. I even lowered my prices on them a couple of times to the point in which I was selling them cheaper than anywhere else. Believe it or not people still complained. After that I priced things what I felt was reasonable and who cares what they think. Let them go elsewhere and find it cheaper or complain to someone else.

Here is what we have had available so far this year:
    Bagged Salad Mix- $3.00 for 6oz.
    Scallions (White and Red)- bunch of 5 for $1.00
    French Breakfast Radishes- bunch of 4 for $1.00 (people love them in fact we sold out of these two weeks in a row.) After selling these and seeing how much everyone loves them I do not plan to sell the regular common radishes anymore.
    Red Russian Kale- $2.00 for a bunch
    Collards- $2.00 a bunch
    Looseleaf Lettuce Heads- $2.00 each
    Garlic Scapes- $1.00 for a bunch of 10
    Berry Bread- $2.00 for a small loaf
    Beets- $2.50 or $2.00 for 3 or 4 depending on size
    Bag of baby beets (thinnings)- $2.00

Some other things we will be selling:
    Zucchini and Yellow Squash- .75 or .50 depending on size
    Cucumbers- .75 each
    Bell Peppers- 2 for $1.00 all colors
    Green and Yellow Beans- $2.00 quart (also will have purple and yard long this year, but not sure of the price yet.)
    Cherry Tomatoes (mixed colors)- $2.50 a pint
    Heirloom tomatoes- $2.50 about 4 tomatoes in a quart
    Corn- $5.00 a dozen
    Basil- $1.00 a bunch size depended on how much we had each week to cut
    Pears- container of I think about 4 depending on size $2.50
    Zucchini Bread and Pear Nut Bread- $2.50 small loaves
    Zucchini Bread and Pear Nut Bread- .50 muffins

We will also have many other things available for the first time this year that I have not decided on a price yet. Such as carrots, eggplant, garlic, potatoes, and some other things.

• teauteau
    14 years ago

Can someone from Kansas or Missouri tell me how much you are charging for blackberries. These are not the wild but the large (I can't remember the variety) thornless variety. They're nearly ready to pick and I want to get the right price.
    Thanx!

• keltink
    14 years ago

Anoid1, in late winter (probably March, don't have my notes on me) I simply broadcast the seed in a bed, quite thickly. It is in full sun, and I've had no disease problems. The bed is quite vigorous. I handpick bunches twice each week, but may soon be forced to cut the whole thing and allow regrowth. I've been especially vigilant in cutting out any seed stalks that appear ... this is my first year with sorrel, by the way, so I'm no expert. For reference, I'm in a zone 6 western North Carolina mountain climate, elevation only 1700 feet, southerly facing slope.
    Carrot price for herbgardener: We sell a 1/2 pound bunched carrots for $2 right now. In the spring, when I was fortunate enough to be the only one w/carrots at market, we asked and got $2.50 (I seeded the bed under row cover on Dec. 21, and rushed out on below 20-degree-nights to add plastic. A fun and profitable experiment - I plan to triple the amount I grow this year. The seeds just sat there forever, then finally germinated. Then the little plants just sat there and looked miserable. But, when spring hit, by golly I had the sweetest carrots you could want ... I bet I could have asked and gotten more at market).

• steve22802
    14 years ago

Keltink, I like your winter sowing idea with carrots. I may have to give it a try too. Do you think this works better than overwintering mature carrots in the ground with a mulch? Seems like the overwintered carrots might have a tendency to bolt in the spring. Also, what was the earliest date that you were able to have these wintersown carrots ready for market?

Thanks for sharing this idea,
    Steve

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

Keltink, thanks for the info about the carrots. I am obviously not charging enough, considering I prepare them as gourmet carrots (with a little green left) and they are washed & scrubbed. Too late now to change the prices. Will know again next year if I decide to do them again. Great idea about the winter seeding. I have raised beds and I think I would have to put plastic covers over it, as our winter doesn't consist of nice white flakes but big heavy drops of wet (rain, rain and more rain) and I think the seeds would just go to mush. Do you think it would still work?. I have thought about winter lettuce but like I said we just get rain and very very little sunshine. Any thoughts on this.? Ideally if I could a jump start on the lettuce or arugula I could really have a good season next year.
    Thanks

• fancifowl
    14 years ago

Following are some prices from Chatauqua produce auction in western N.Y from july 3, 09.

cherries-$3 per Qt....red & black raspberries @ $3.50-$4 per pt... cabbage @ .40-.60 head...sweet onions @ .75-$1.00 each... pickles @ $5.00 per 4 pack... new red potatoes @ $3-$4.50 qt...green tomatoes @ 41.75 qt... zukes @ 43.5-$6.00 per 1/2 bu...green beans @ $4-$8 per peck(8 qts).

I have been selling bunches of 5 beets @ $1.75...walla walla sweet onions at .70- $1.25 each...new red potatoes @ $2.25 qt...currants/gooseberries @ $3.00 per pt...spring garlic bunches of 7 @ $.75...head lettuce @ 41.00.

Some were getting $4.00 per qt for their green beans, looks like sweet corn will come in @ 44.25 per 12 and drop to 4 as more comes on the market.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fancifowl, I don't understand some of the above pricing, could you please explain. ex: head lettuce @41.00. ? pickles @ $5.00 per 4 pack?

• fancifowl
    14 years ago

Sorry, the preceding 4 should be a $. it doesnt always take on my key board when I hit the caps. so: head lettuce @ $1.00 & zukes @ $3.5o..... - I dont know about the pickles/4 pack, didnt even notice just copied from the market report.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fancifowl - Thanks for the response, it helps clarify it.

• soulreaver
    14 years ago

Here in Northern RI and Attleboro, MA I have been getting the following

Cherry tomatoes $4.00/Pint
    Sandwich tomatoes $3.00/lb
    Slicing cucumbers $1.25 each
    Green Bell Peppers $3.99/lb
    Boc Choi 2.50/head

I sell my stuff as organic and not at a market but at a nursery that has a produce section so I get a 75/25 split.

Is there anyone else in the northern RI area selling stuff? If so would you list your prices too.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

For those of you that want to move near me, good luck. I market at only 1 market in Lafayette. I have been at this market since 2000 and have a reputation of the highest quality produce at the market, along with knowledge of 'how to preserve' what I sell. Others do not get some of the prices that I get.

Of course, now since my market has been running for 2 1/2 months, some of the prices have dropped.

Potatoes, $1.75-$2.00/lb
    tomatoes $2.50-$3.00/lb
    Green beans $2.50-$3.00/lb
    Sweet corn--can't get local, prices outrageous, I don't have ANY yet.
    Zucchini- $.75-$2.00/each depending on size and condition.
    Yellow Squash--$.50 or 3/$1, IF you sell it.
    Cucumbers- still running $.75-$1 each

14 years ago

Hanselmanfarms: How do you maintain the "Highest Quality Produce"? Every week I get the same comments from my customers. I had a group of three women went around to every stall yesterday and came back to me and told me "You have the best looking produce of anyone in the market." That made me feel really proud! I didn't even know who they were. The all proceeded to buy and then they left.

Sometimes I wonder why everyone else produce doesn't look like mine?

Here is what I do to make sure I have high quality produce.

1) Pick it at the proper size. It means I pick 6-7 days a week. Then I store it at the proper temp.
    2) Cull anything that has bad spots, unhealed over bug spots, soft or sunburn.
    3) Every squash, cucumber, and tomato I sell gets wiped off or washed prior to going to market.
    4) I sort through every basket of cherry tomatoes to ensure I don't have any splits. 40 baskets at every market (3 days a week).
    5)Early in the year, wash every potato. Later on I just run out of time and I feel they keep better if you don't wash them. However, if I have to dig them in the mud, I do wash them.
    6)Display everything in an appealing way.

Those are a few things I do, how about you?

I am not the biggest grower at two of my markets, so I don't compete with price. I beat them with quality!

Quality always beats a cheap price.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

Jrslick, you sound like me, except I try NOT to store anything in frigs. This year, for the first year, I do have extra frigs. I turn them on on the highest temp possible, just to take part of the field heat out.

We sort at home, and then again at the market. Our customers know that at the beginning of the market, we may not have everything 'ready and inspected', but they wait and sometimes even 'help' sort.

Even my 'canning tomatoes' do not have any splits, dark spots or anything that might cause problems. In the past, I have given boxes to my customers and had they choose their own canning tomatoes from the supply on the table. After a few times of them picking them out, they start to trust us. Before we give out a 'box' of tomatoes, we sort in front of the customers, just to be sure. Of course, last year we got $1.00 per pound. Bushels weigh 50 lbs, so they paid $50/bushel and nobody complained. They found out that getting the quality paid for the price. Other vendors sell culls as canners.

One other thing I do, is to provide my customers with preserving tips. There is a website called pickyourown.org that has tips for picking and using produce. Check it out.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree that quality beats price. While I am still waiting for most of my crops to come in( anyone else still waiting?) in the spring I did not put out anything that was not perfect, that was for us , or friends and nieghbors. There is a stand down the road that has produce that looks like it has been sitting out for days,old and not even that cheap.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

Our stuff is coming in late this year, also. At least a couple of weeks. Field tomatoes are just starting, and not alot of them. The only thing that came on at the normal time was the 'wild' berries.

• keltink
    14 years ago

Sorry, folks, to drop out of the conversation for so long - we don't keep a computer at home ... on winter-seeding carrots, Steve (I think) asked:
    "I like your winter sowing idea with carrots. I may have to give it a try too. Do you think this works better than overwintering mature carrots in the ground with a mulch? Seems like the overwintered carrots might have a tendency to bolt in the spring. Also, what was the earliest date that you were able to have these wintersown carrots ready for market?"

I haven't mulched before, though I plan to try that, too, this year. I think I had the carrots to market in May, but my records are at home ... I'll check that later. They didn't bolt on me before harvest. However, beets seeded and treated the same way did start to bolt, but I still got to market early with a bunch of them - kind of small, but nice and early and sweet (Early Wonder Top was the variety).
    Aside here: I stole the early planting ideas from some references in one of Eliot Coleman's stuff. I can't recommend his books highly enough, because they lead you to generate your own experiments. A lot of what he does won't work for me - I don't have a high tunnel, for instance, but I'm experimenting w/row cover and plastic. Also, he deals w/two main factors in Maine: Snow and cold. I deal w/spiking temps - for several days it'll be above 50 degrees, tenderizing the plants, then we get down to 6 below zero for several nights. Not enough snow to protect the plantings, either. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal w/that effectively. Maybe someone has some other ideas?

Back to carrots: Herbgardener talked about whether the seed would rot without snow cover. As mentioned above, we've got the same problem, and mine did germinate. Who knows if it'll work again this year, but hey, seed is cheap, really. For what it's worth, I used Mokum from Fedco. Plan to try more Mokum, and also Nelson. My row cover is Agribon 19, and I buy rolls of what I think is 6 mil plastic for the really cold times ... again, for me and probably you, it is the up-and-down that is a killer. Herbgardener also asked about lettuce. I kept it alive all winter, but it didn't provide many salads. I plan to try again this year. Tatsoi did well for a while, as did my greens. Chard overwintered under row cover and occasional plastic. My greens not under cover absolutely bit the dust after a spell of warm temps in January followed by bitter cold - first time I've lost them like that, but it was an odd weather pattern.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now that the season is in mid-late how are your prices holding up? Are you getting more for some things that are in short supply? Prices dropping due to end of season on some crops? What's happening out there?

14 years ago

Well I wish I still had everything that I had listed before in this post, maybe this fall. Here is what I was getting last week in North Central Kansas.

Tomatoes : $2.00 a pound sold out 3 days
    Cherry tomatoes $2.00-$2.50 pint basket 7 different varieties
    Bell Peppers .75 all colors (kinda small)
    Hot peppers $2.00/pound
    Okra 2.50- 3.00/ pound
    Yukon Gold, All Blue Potatoes $1.00/ pound
    Cucumbers, Green slicers. .75 each or 2 for $1
    Pickling Cucumbers $1.50/pound
    Zucchini .75 each or 4 for $2
    Lemon Cucumber .50 or 3 for $1
    Dragons Egg Cucumbers .50 or 3 for $1
    Armenian Cucumbers $1.00 each
    Green Beans $2.50/pound
    Pepper Jellies $4.25 half pint
    Fruit Jams $4.50 half pint

No onions, radishes, lettuce, Red Potatoes, Beets, broccoli, cauliflower, watermelon, cantaloupe, spinach, or carrots.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

Yes, prices are dropping. My sales have dropped drastically this last week, it usually happens the week or two before school starts. I hope it picks back up after school starts, especially this year. Our garden is just really firing up, and sales are down. We have cut prices, but if there is NO customers, it doesn't matter what the price is. Sorry, today was a depressing sales day, barely made gas money.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thats what I am afraid of,dropping prices. By the time my tomatoes & peppers come in the market will be slowing down. I did get some good rain for a couple of days so that helps. Go ahead hanselman be depressed, I had mine a few days ago where I didn't even go out and look, it was just too painful and discouraging, but I am going to sell what I can, and process the rest for the family and hope for a much better start for next year. I have to say, coming here and talking with others who understand sure has been a huge help.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

Hey, at least we will eat. Things do start coming back up some after school starts, but not what they were before.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

gardener1908, used your knowledge of preserving to help sell those veggies. So many people don't know how to preserve anymore. I sell alot of tomatoes and other things, BECAUSE I can tell them HOW to preserve. I get $1.00 for 1/2 bushels ($25.00 per half, or $50/bushel) Total outrageous price, BUT each box of tomatoes are hand sorted with ONLY the best #1 tomatoes, ideal for canning. You may not get that kind of prices, but sell your knowledge and tips. The customers love to learn.

14 years ago

hanselman: I don't think those prices are outrageous. If you by a 25 pound box of red tomatoes from a distributor, in July at least, they were $1.49 pound.

I think a $1.00 a pound is fair for you and for the customer.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hanselman - that was going to be part of my plan. A local hardware store and my self were going to team up and I would give out discount coupons for canning supplies. Win win for both. And canning and preserving is a lost art, but I think as more and more people get interested in their food, plus those who love to cook, it is making a come back. Forecast for next week more cool tempetures, so I am turning my focus on my hoophouse.

jrslick- What are you doing with your hoop? What plans for winter?

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

I'm glad you all think my prices are reasonable. I have kept the prices the same as last year, even tho my supply is less. With the economy, I decided that I could not raise my prices when people's money was not increasing. Nobody has complained about my prices. I have also sold green beans in bulk, 25# for $25. Those are the only things that we have sold in bulk this year. Someone has asked about potatoes, but we haven't decided whether to sell in bulk or not.

14 years ago

gardener1908: Well that is a good question. I kind of committed myself to a plan already.

It has been very cool for us here in Kansas for the last week and the forecast is for more cool weather. I am planting lettuce and spinach. My neighbor planted spinach and lettuce last week outside and they are coming up, so I said "Let's Try!"

I put in 3 rows of spinach 45 feet long, space 12 inches apart. Then I did the same thing with a variety of lettuce.

These greens are on the shaded side of my Cherry tomatoes. I will be letting the tomatoes go until the freeze takes them. I am still picking them like a crazy man! Although, they have slowed down. I am debating about ripping out some peppers in there and plant something. I have lots of plants that don't have any peppers on them. I figure, if they at least don't have small ones, they aren't going to make it by late October, but I haven't decided.

Outside I have transplanted lots of broccoli and cauliflower. I have radishes and beets coming up. I also finished planting more radishes, beets, and turnips. I am going to try to till another area up and plant more beets, chard, lettuce and more spinach. I figure, I already bought the seed, I have the ground ready, why not?

I plan on picking the spinach as baby spinach. This will be the first time for me, so I am sure I will learn alot!

Thanks for asking!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler