Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Selling veggies to a certfied market?

I have a lot of extra and early veggies every year and I give it away. An SC certified farmers market opened up 3 miles from me. When I went by to buy some local grown and homemade sausage they tried to entice me in to buying beans and squash and I told them that I had plenty.

I don't think they believed me....I had fresh zucchini and green beans way early this year. I normally have stuff before most of the locals.

I have given away at least $500 worth (by their prices) of fresh veggies already!

I'm going to ask them about buying my extras and was wondering what kind of prices I should ask for my local produce?

50% to 75% of what they will be selling it for?

They are buying produce that is trucked in from about 200 miles away and isn't near the quality of mine. I also use organic practices but I'm not certified.

I don't have time to sell my stuff at a market on weekends which would be more profitable I am sure.

If they offer less than 50%, I'll give it away instead!

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Most certified markets that I know about, you must grow it yourself, and NOT buy anything.

When I was buying and reselling I was buying at 1/3 to 1/2 of what I could sell for. That barely made me any profit. I was responsible for all produce that didn't sell, or wasn't good enough. Plus taking the time to sell the produce. Personally I wouldn't go for it. Wholesale prices are 1/3 to 1/2 price of market price at farmers market, and that is what you are talking about doing.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took him some green beans and zucchini yesterday. Better quality, no chemicals, and local, he imports his from the southern part of the state.

He offered me 25% I said nope. He had some fresh butter beans, which I don't have yet and he said they were not selling. I offered him a trade and or buy at 50% off, he said nope. I said thank you and walked away, smiling.

My coworkers were happy this morning. Smiling faces are better than a few $.

"Most certified markets that I know about, you must grow it yourself, and NOT buy anything."

Here in SC, I think, I'm not sure, it only has to be grown in state to be certified.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

different areas, different rules. Could you ask your co-workers for a free-will donation? Just to cover your costs of seeds? It's an idea.

I was just voicing my opinion, which I thought you wanted. In my situation, I could only make a profit, after paying for my costs if I could at least double my money. I was picking up the produce which added alot of expenses on my part. If I was only selling on consignment, I might go for the 25% on what I could sell. There has been many many times that I've added some extra, just to take that extra home. It just took up space. I've been doing this for about 12 years and this is my experience.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

I have never heard of a 'certified' market. My first thought was certified organic. What does certified mean? All I can think of is in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? when his daughters tell him he is not bonified. LOL

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

Littleminnie-

I was wondering the same thing, what is a "Certified" market? I guess here in Kansas we do thing differently.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Certified can mean several things, basically it has paperwork involved. I've heard CA has certified markets, meaning that it's grown within a certain distance. Other certified markets, are grower only. In my experience, I've never persnally seen a certified market.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"I was just voicing my opinion, which I thought you wanted."

Yes I did! And Thank You!

The picking up the produce would be eliminated, lowering the cost of having things shipped in. He has a list of the farms that supply his produce. My name on that list would be another plus since almost everyone that shops there knows me, the other names on the list are from 100 + miles away. Consignment would be fine, but not at 25% with me delivering it.

The following link is for the rules and regulations for a Certified Roadside market in SC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Certified road side market

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Yeah still confused about their use of that word. They are not seller grown only obviously and aren't most markets locally produced? Ours is firm on the mileage! and supposed to be firm on the seller produced but one big farm gets away with secret reselling due to manager ignorance and market members not speaking up. Minnesota Nice I guess we are!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio