Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another chard question

Posted by ddunbar z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 04 at 16:50

Do any of you who sell chard take product to market with minimal insect damage? Although I am not organic, I do try to refrain from using chemicals. In the last week I've noticed a few tiny holes in my chard leaves. Short of dousing with chemicals this time of year, I'm not sure of a solution. So, please let me know if this is acceptable at market.
Thanks, DD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another chard question

A few tiny holes, maybe. I've had leaf miners this year & those leaves I won't take.

I've learned to ask other people (friends, employees, etc.) would you buy this? Sometimes we're too critical & other times not critical enough. Other opinions are good.

What we don't take becomes "family food". We know it's fine, but would never sell it - want people to think everything we grow is perfect. If they only knew.

o

I take greens with minor damage. I've explained once that "I can't bring myself to use chemicals so we have a few holes." Customers have been so happy to have fresh vegetables again that a hole here and there doesn't matter.

Anything that has more than minimal damage is either eaten here in the house, fed to the livestock or composted.

o

Thanks for the great input. Robin, you echoed my thoughts / practices exactly. I just wanted to make sure that I was being reasonable.
DD

o

• Posted by nettle z8 Vancouver BC (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 6, 04 at 18:27

get some remay cloth if you can to cover your leafy greens beds, it seems to keep many of the chewers at bay. i try to take the best possible product to market, because i don't want people to associate organic with substandard food. i find the quality of my produce is often better than the conventional growers bring to market. i eat the damaged ones, or take them to the local foodbank, which uses them for soup. the last destination is the compost pile, if other places fail.

o

Our market customers know we don't use pesticides so they are very tolerant of holes in leaves. I try to pick early in the morning the day of the market. I don't usually wash unless they are wet or dirty, cut off the stalks, put the leaves in a deep lastic bag so they are not exposed to air flow. I put the stalks in the bag, put upsidedown in another bag and into the refridg util time to go to market. Also this process works well to pick the night before. We almost always sell out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here