Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Beans , storing ,washing, quality ??

Posted by joe-il 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 17:15

With all the heavy storms my green beans are a little dirty. Should I wash them before selling? Will they rust if I wash and put in fridge? or should I just wipe the dirt off as many as I can? How do you sell Quality green beans?

How long do you store them before market? I pick every day - every other day, How many days can I leave in fridge before market?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Beans , storing ,washing, quality ??

I don't recommend washing your green beans, I would wipe them off. my beans sometimes have some dirt on them but my customers are ok with a small amount.

I would pick every other day or at least 2x per week. I don't normally refrigerate anything, but recently I have put some in a refrigerator set on the warmest setting so that it just barely cools. I only keep them for 1-2 days from picking, if the beans are the least limp they go into the compost pile.

o

I pick the morning of for an afternoon market, after the dew is gone of course. I usually pick twice a week, Wednesday morning and Friday nights. I never wash them. I did once and I had to throw out a bunch. Also, never put them in a bag wet or damp. If they are damp when I pick. I dump them out in a thin layer in my basement and let them dry off. I did this once when it started to sprinkle on me with 10 feet left to pick. It worked fine.

It depends on the temp, sometimes I put them straight in the fridge other times I just leave them out in my cool basement. It depends on when I finish picking them. Most of the time they go in the fridge.

If you put them in a fridge, the best I do is Wednesday morning to Saturday morning. Anything after that, we process or eat.

Jay

o

We do wash our beans both for appearance sake and sanitation. They go into a mild clorox solution then into clean rinse water. We store the bean in flat 1/2 bushel crates in our cooler making sure there is air circulation to dry them out - moist beans will not hold. Green beans hold best around 40 degrees and 95% humidity which we have trouble maintaining without freezing up the unit. On market day we use ice chests to hold the beans putting out only enough on the table to fill you display. They stay nice and crisp that way. We pick three time a week during main season but sell the bulk of them on Saturdays - maybe 12 bushels a week. It's the best system we have come up with to hold them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Postharvest Cooling and Handling of Green Beans and Field Peas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here