Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimy_okra

What is the price of Italian basil in your market?

Slimy_Okra
11 years ago

We only have a couple of vendors at our market selling it...at the whopping price of $6/ounce.

Comments (8)

• cowpie51
    11 years ago

I used to sell 3 Large Italian Genovese Basil plants bundled with a rubber band by the root cut ( about a 3/4 pound) for 2.00 . I guess I was getting about .16 cents a oz.
    Not much of a market in farm country I guess.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

I am cutting off the top 5 inches, or so, and bunching 4 or 5 stems together for $2, or three for $5. It looks really good and is selling good too, but not great about $40 per market.
    It would take about 5 bunches to make a meal sized pesto.
    The biggest purchase was 12 bunches(4 x three for $5).

I put the bunched basil in lug of water with an upside down cell flat to hold it. I cut the bottoms off all the cells like some flower vendors do. I took a suggestion from another basil thread and give the customers a nice zip lock bag with the basil, but a lot of them are content to just toss it in whatever bag they are carrying.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I only sold my basil as leaves and by the pound. With the stems didn't sell as well, when I tried that. By the pound, I got $24 per lb, 2004 prices. Haven't had a good year since then.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

i've been selling it for $3.50 for a bag that weighs about 1/4 of a pound. so thats $14/lb. customers have been saying that its a good price so i could probably charge more.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Are you picking the leaves off and selling just leaves, Randy?

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

i clip off the branches below where the seed head would form. this particular batch is getting near the end of its production as the leaves are getting smaller and yielding less harvestable crop. maybe a fertilizing boost would help but i have starts to just plant it again. yesterday i also sold a smaller bag for a little less since a few customers wanted smaller quantities. not sure how someone could think a quarter of pound is too much basil but you know how weird customers are.

• harvestingfilth
    11 years ago

We do small bunches of about 6-8 stems, 10-12" long, for $2.50 a bunch or 2/$4. Probably 3-4 ounces.

But I only sell a handful of herbs each market, usually less than $30 total.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Production looks like it will go down here too.Backups are already in the garden about 8'tall. Thinking about planting another flat because, though it isn't much money(at the rate I am selling it), it's easy and we like it in the house.