Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucks_gw

Spinich

bucks
18 years ago

On a prior post I was talking about Basil; pricing, and more importantly harvesting. Now I am curious; it appears that to really save time with the basil some of you cut the stems, band it, and sell it by the bundle. The key here is that it is much faster to pick and of course you will make more per hour in doing so. Now in the case of Spinich what do you do? I have always cut the leaves and let them grow back. Yet this is quite timely. What are you thoughts of digging up the entire plant cutting the roots off the bottom and selling it like that? Again this is being sold to a food processor who takes the product and purees it down. I of course would pull out the yellowed leaves and such but I have no clue what people can sell spinich for and it seems rather timely as you are going to wash it also. Any thoughts on this ?

Comments (5)

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

Spinach doesn't germinate well in warm weather. I'd stick with cutting so that you have plants until they bolt. I never wash spinach. Unless there's been a pouring rain that splashed dirt up the night before it's always been clean.

• jayreynolds
    18 years ago

It's true that spiach may not germinate well in hot weather. Down south it might still be wise to try and develop a method for doing it, as our season can be extended into fall. It seems that bolting is initiated chiefly by daylength increases, but in the case of fall, daylength is decreasing.

I'm considering a trial planting of spinach this fall, and am targeting mid-August for planting. Variety will be 'Giant Noble'. I got germination last year by using mulch and twice/day watering. Below is a link to an article describing some success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall In Love With Spinach

• bucks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think you may have misunderstood me. We plant Spinach here in October. Also since I flood irrigate, the Spinach will have dirt on it. So I am looking for the fastest way to harvest verses having to replant a second or third crop. Therefore is it more profitable ( time verses planting a second or third row) to cut the whole plant each time, or to cut leaves and let the plant put out more leaves. It seems that labor is the key factor in making money in Spinach , basil and other crops of the like.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    18 years ago

My suggestion would be to evaluate your return for your investment. I believe you would find that cutting the entire plant or even pulling out by the roots my be your best return for your time. I sold basil to a wholesaler who would get it shipped from Israel in the off season with the roots attached. The downside of including roots is the wash step. I lightly rinse my basil and spinach in the lug that I transport to market. There is only slight discoloration of the water in the base. Rooted plants would need seperate hosing to remove soil clumps.

• ohiorganic
    18 years ago

I cut the plants at soil level so I get the whole plant. I than wash the whole plants in cold water (they go into a tub of cold water, they are not hosed as that causes major bruising of delicate leaves) and spin dry before putting away wrapped in a towel in a plastic bin in a fridge.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor