Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Packaging of Herbs

Posted by river22 Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 19:58

I am tinkering with the idea of either selling my produce at the Farmer's Market or selling straight to the supermarket. Does anyone here sell fresh herbs? I have lots of Dill ready and have seen it in the supermarket and it looked like they just cut the whole plant down and tied it up. However, I have not seen any at all lately. Would love to get some ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Packaging of Herbs

Many people bag cut herbs in plastic but I've never seen the need to bother for either farmers' market or supermarket sales. I band and stack bunches into plastic containers with a few inches of water added. The water keeps most herbs from wilting. I sell directly from the plastic containers into T-shirt bags and customers expect that freshness.

For supermarkets you may need to ask for their preference. Most have misters and want exposed herbs. One store asked for bunches of herbs and they made smaller bunches before selling them. If they pay by the pound you make the same regardless of bunch size.

o

I have the same question myself. We are selling to other stores . . . smaller stores that would like to carry fresh produce as well. I don't know how to keep my herbs perky looking. I bought some of those deli cups but I am worried that they don't have sufficient ventilation. Is it better to put them in the cooler or with the other produce (which will be inside in a cooler area but not in a refrigerated case)?

o

Part of your obligation to your profession is to get the herbs to the store in short order after harvesting. You can also make suggestions to the store of how the herbs might be best displayed. Usually the produce manager or store owner is more educated in produce care than we are.

Avoid taking any herbs in closed plastic containers in your car trunk on a hot day. That is asking for trouble. If you have a long distance to travel consider ice packs or coolers to help keep them fresh. Tender dill will wilt at the drop of a hat so it is especially important to keep it cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here