Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Coming future challenge - controlling weeds

wordwiz
12 years ago

I use to be a Boy Scout, so I'm trying to be prepared!

Finally got a good plot of ground for my garden and found someone who will get it in shape. It will be about 10,000 sf of virgin ground (at least a 25 year-old virgin!) but ... it is covered with grass and clover. Not that this is bad as it should be very fertile, but the grass has already gone to seed and I suspect the clover is not far behind.

Given how late in the season it is, my plans are to use about half of the space for tomatoes, then the rest spread among squash/zucchini, cucumbers and this fall, Romaine Lettuce and Sugar Snap peas. I can till the space for the latter two off and all all summer. I figure the vining plants will only need maybe three weeks to nearly smother the ground and a tilling or two should take care of unwanted guests. But I don't have a plan yet for dealing with the toms. One option may be diluting vinegar in water and using a small pump-up sprayer, applying it to spaces around the plants and till the area between rows. At least until mid-July then sow crimson clover as both a green manure cover crop, weed suppressor and as a type of mulch for the sprawling toms to lay on.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Words of Wisdom?

Mike

Comments (4)

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

for the tomatoe use either 12"+ of straw mulch or put down plastic mulch. tomatoes do very badly without a good mulch layer and this will stop most of the weeds.

melons, zukes and cukes also do far better on plastic mulch than bare land

Buy a wheel how and get to hoeing regularly, easier, more effective and in the long run cheaper than fooling with 5% vinegar (which is effective on small thistle but not a lot else) You need 15% vinegar for the herbicide to be effective but it is non selective so will kill your crops as well.

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bolder,

Me not think straw is a good option, not for 10,000 sq. ft. at 12" depth. I would need a semi-trailer to bring in the bales!

But... since I have more room than I have plants, at least for the toms, I'm spacing the rows and the plants 3' apart. And I'm aligning the plants so I can till east-west and north-south. All of the plants are determinates, so I should be able to hit them the last time in early or maybe middle of July. I'll sow Crimson Clover a week or so later and by the time it germinates and starts getting any root mass, the maters should have deep and wide roots so there will not be much competition for water.

Mike

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

Mike I have used straw on more than amount (try 1/2 acre) and it takes around 100 bales (far less than a semi load). 10,000 square feet is 50 beds for us and we do around 300, these day around 1/2 of those beds get covered with landscape fabric but we used to do straw about the same amount (at another farm) and it took around 100 bakes to do 50 beds deeply (about 10% of a semi load).

Or get 20 rolls of landscape fabric, burn holes in according to the spacing you need for various crops. Or get a 2500' roll of black plastic

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

PLASTIC MULCH! I strongly recommend it. Or several layers of weed blocker. I use a lot of plastic for anything that can handle heat. For things that can't handle heat I do cardboard paths and straw mulch in the bed. Make beds rather than till the whole thing if you want. You could make heaped beds 4x10 or so in that area of grass, leaving grass between that can be mowed. You would have paths inside the garden anyway. When you till in grass it doesn't die so you need the plastic mulch. Also just because there is nice grass on it doesn't mean the soil is good- compost like crazy in your heaped beds.
    I bring home straw from the compost facility or ask people in spring who decorated with it. I use it on half of my 15000 sq ft.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus