Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henhousefarms

Good help is hard to find

henhousefarms
12 years ago

Finally figured out why it always takes so long to get anything done around here - every time I turn my back the help takes a nap!! Guess it's time to start cracking the whip.

Tom

Comments (5)

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

I'd say she's smart help!!--especially in the heat we've had the last few weeks. However, that pic was obviously taken earlier when potatoes were going in. I believe she's protecting them from voles or something!!

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Good pest guard critters are hard to find also. Maybe she was supervising???

Marla

• Noogy
    12 years ago

I got me a hound from the pound, nose to the ground, and have found 3 dead cats placed in her 'sentinel' location. Not mine, but no collars on them...
    So much for critter control!
    Dog or moles/chipmunks/ etc.?
    noogy

• henhousefarms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He was a stray - came strolling up a couple years ago while we were picking green peppers. Took about a week to track down his family (almost 15 miles away) and sent him home. About a month later they called and said their neighbor had taking to shooting the neighborhood dogs and they wondered if I would take him. Could not say no - just too good of a hound. Between him and my pointer there isn't a rabbit safe in the section.

Tom

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I miss having a good garden protecting dog. We had one that would even 'help' pick wild raspberries. He would point them out for us to pick the top of the bushes, if he could have the ones at the bottom. No problem, saved us lots of time. He also made sure that no raccoons, deer or rabbits got into the gardens during gardening season. Outside of season, or out of the gardening plot was ok with him. Unfortunately he died about 4-5 years ago. It took the critters 2-3 years to figure out that he wasn't around.

Marla

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH