Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good help is hard to find

Posted by henhousefarms (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 21:37

Finally figured out why it always takes so long to get anything done around here - every time I turn my back the help takes a nap!! Guess it's time to start cracking the whip.

Tom

Potatos 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good help is hard to find

I'd say she's smart help!!--especially in the heat we've had the last few weeks. However, that pic was obviously taken earlier when potatoes were going in. I believe she's protecting them from voles or something!!

o

Good pest guard critters are hard to find also. Maybe she was supervising???

Marla

o

I got me a hound from the pound, nose to the ground, and have found 3 dead cats placed in her 'sentinel' location. Not mine, but no collars on them...
So much for critter control!
Dog or moles/chipmunks/ etc.?
noogy

o

He was a stray - came strolling up a couple years ago while we were picking green peppers. Took about a week to track down his family (almost 15 miles away) and sent him home. About a month later they called and said their neighbor had taking to shooting the neighborhood dogs and they wondered if I would take him. Could not say no - just too good of a hound. Between him and my pointer there isn't a rabbit safe in the section.

Tom

o

I miss having a good garden protecting dog. We had one that would even 'help' pick wild raspberries. He would point them out for us to pick the top of the bushes, if he could have the ones at the bottom. No problem, saved us lots of time. He also made sure that no raccoons, deer or rabbits got into the gardens during gardening season. Outside of season, or out of the gardening plot was ok with him. Unfortunately he died about 4-5 years ago. It took the critters 2-3 years to figure out that he wasn't around.

Marla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here