Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magz88

Rain done come

magz88
11 years ago

It finally rained here - all day long. Not sure of the accumulation but they had forecasted 20-30 mm and we got at least that (I think that's about an inch in imperial measurement).

I am happy that I will be able to get a lot of transplanting done and seeding that I had been holding off on. Now, hopefully it won't be another month plus before we get the next rains.

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

If you're like us, after the little bit of rain, it turned much much cooler. Now about March/April weather in June, before it was June/July weather in april/May.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Same here.

• magz88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Us too, our market is at the top of a hill and boy was it windy and cold this morning. It's only 11 degrees right now in the middle of the day. It is supposed to warm up somewhat over the week. I like it at about 20 (68?).

I would rather be cool than than hot any day, and even moreso being 7 months pregnant.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

It was 41 degrees Thursday morning 43 on Friday and 48 this morning. It never got about 60 on Friday. Now spring, oh wait forecast says 101 on Monday. Can anyone say "Shock!"

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Magzz, it really sounds cold to me for 11 until I coverted it to F degrees, still cold but not as much.

We barely got to 60 yesterday, but 90s in the near future.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

How near future? I wish I could find a good long range forecast. I STILL haven't put out my tomatoes, peppers or eggplant, have 2 each of squash, zukes and cukes to set out, was going to direct-sow others, but now it's supposed to rain all week and highs near 60F, lows in high 40's. Should I direct-sow more lettuce, chard, spinach???

In the meantime, my garage is full of tomatoes and family room has a table full of peppers.

Next year I'm building a high tunnel, or at least a couple of low ones!

• magz88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what I am doing ajsmama. I have various sizes of lettuce that all need transplanting as well as kale and mustard greens.

I have tomato plants and a few eggplants that I direct sowed and I am going to move them today or tomorrow to their final spots since they have had a few days to get used to the cold.

I am not doing spinach since it tends to bolt on me with these temperature swings.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I used accuweather.com, they give you 25 days, but then again, they are guessing the same as everyone else.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I have some long-standing Bloomsdale spinach, but have to look at that 25-day forecast. I did plant some cuke and zuke seeds today. Spent most of the day weeding and helping DH but a compost bin out of pallets.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Thanks Marla - checked Accuweather and it looks like after this week, it's going back to normal June weather so I won't plant the spinach (though I will seed more lettuce).

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

We are finally getting some rain, along with lightning and thunder. hopefully NO hail. Lots of wind also.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

1.5" so far and more coming according to the radar, thank you Rain God.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022