Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Was I being un-neighborly?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Went to grange fair to sell some of my extra tomato plants today, farmer/maple syrup processor 4 miles away from me was there too. He offered to barter maple syrup for my leftover plants at the end of the day, at first I thought that was great, then I thought "No, we're at the same market on Wednesdays this year" I'm a little confused since he said his greenhouse collapsed in Feb snow (2ft in 1 storm) and he had to buy plants this year, but then he said he had a couple hundred in the ground.

I did then go over with 18 plants (1801 size) and said I could spare 3-4 Cherokee Purple in addition, but didn't know if 3-6 of each variety would do him any good. I just asked that he not sell Rose de Berne (from my plants) at the Wed market since you can get all the others (Brandywine, etc.) anywhere but that variety was a special one I was hoping would find a niche in the market. He declined, said it was a thought but he really didn't want to plant any more tomatoes today, just get out of the heat. I'm afraid I hurt his feelings. I did offer to help put the greenhouse back up if/when they decide to do that, and also if he needs any produce for a weekend market (he's doing Tues, Wed, Thurs in a 10-mile radius, needs to find a weekend market).

Should I have just taken the deal and not mentioned us being in competition?

Comments (5)

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

All in how a guy takes it, but being an honest fella I wouldn't have bought them with any conditions.

On the other hand if you have a product that is hard to come by, you can ask what you want but if I had a market cornered I think I would let em rot before I sold my competition the factory.

It isn't about neighborly it's about business.
    You wouldn't have made me mad.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did tell him that on 2nd thought I didn't think it was a good business move (that's when I asked him not to sell this 1 variety at the same market I'm in), he told me a business "tip" not to get into farming in the first place.

I laughed and then said I'd help with anything else, that's when I offered to help with the greenhouse or wholesale produce to him for a weekend market (maybe I should even offer him what doesn't sell on Wednesdays for his Thursday market down the road - I don't think I have enough to support 2 markets midweek, much less 3 like he's doing, not to mention the fees, but it might be enough for him to make his stall look a little fuller on Thursdays)?

I'd have to see if Thursday's is a "producer only" market but even if it is maybe we can tell the MM (I've spoken to her before) that we're "partnering"? Or maybe he'll take my leftovers on "consignment" and tell her he's helping me out with the extras (last MM let me take some of my great-uncle's blueberries last year when it was too hot for his PYO customers)?

I guess I feel bad b/c this is their livelihood, I don't want to say it's a hobby for me (though the IRS might) but if and when I start earning a profit it will just be "pin money" (ultimate goal was to make enough to pay real estate taxes but it's going to take years before that happens).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

You were not rude, and I agree it was not a good deal for you. If you really wanted the syrup, then trade the plants that you don't care about having competition with.

If his greenhouse collapsed in Feb, he could have got another one up and plants ready by now. If he has a couple hundred in the ground, then he should be OK. Don't worry about him, you have enough to worry about yourself.

Sounds like he wanted only certain varieties of plants.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, he didn't specify varieties. I don't get that he wanted my leftovers (maybe 50 plants at the time, I sold more after he asked) if he had 200 already in.

He didn't get the greenhouse back up b/c he was sugaring in March, don't know what he's been busy with the past couple of months. Maybe it's a cash flow problem.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've had people want 'my leftovers' but when the time came, they weren't interested. Either they didn't make enough money, or they were just being polite earlier, or they were trying to 'buy me out' so that they could be the only one selling.

200 plants is usually enough for a couple of smaller markets, but that big market that I used to go to, I need 500-1000.