Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I winter one gallon perennials??

Posted by morgan_5 z8OR (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 23:36

I am selling perennials at a local Saturday Market (first year) and it's going quite well, however I'm trying to decide what to do at the end of the season with whatever I have left over. Should I plant them back in my nursery beds (ugh!) or is there a way I can keep them in their pots (like the nurseries do, I assume) and insulated them somehow? I do not have a greenhouse. :(
Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I winter one gallon perennials??

Most nurseries just keep them outside on the nursery grounds unprotected. Most perennials are quite hardy and should survive the winter. The only other thing I can suggest is either polytunnels which you may not have space for or a large cold frame

o

Below is a link to an article on this subject.

I would think the method one uses would depend on the zone one's in, also the amount of snow cover they can count on (if any). I'm in zone 4 & I can rely on a substantial amount of snow cover so, I just place my pots on the ground close to each other. Usually the early & deep snow I get is enough to protect them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering Containerized Perennials

o

• Posted by Suenh cold end of 4! (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 4:33

Your in a pretty mild area. You could just group them together in a protected spot and they should be fine. Anything a little tender in your zone could be sunk in pots right in the ground. Come spring you pull the pots up and wipe them off and they are as good as new.
In zone 8 a hay bale cold frame would work great. Some old windows from the dump or some poly around a hay bale frame and your golden.

I've even seen the nurseries here pull leftovers together under a tree and most are fine come spring. Only caveat to that is here we get (usually) a good snow cover before the temps drop into the ridiculous range.

o

Great information and article. Thank you!

Sue, can you elaborate on the hay bale cold frame please? Thanks!

o

This is a little late for this year but. Just found this forum. I too started this past year at our Local Farmers Market. Concrete items-stepping stones, small animal figures and Hypertufa Planters plus Hostas and some of our small Fountain grass. We have divided and seeded more this past summer. I dug a trench in the ground and put our gallon pots in it filling in with the dirt around the pots. Since it has gotten much colder I have mulched with some leaves. We get lots of snow and really cold,-20 or more. Remember the pots need to drain good, you don't want them to get water logged and then freeze.
Paws

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here