Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Tired of storms

We were having a good spring, not too many storms, timely rains etc. For the last two days we have had 4 rounds of storms Three on Saturday and one on Sunday. Saturday around 9:30(shut down the market), Sunday at 2:00 and then again at 8:30 that night. Rain, hail, 60, 70, 80 mph winds. While we didn't get the 70-80 stuff, the 60's I am sure we had.

We are lucky and haven't had any damage to our buildings or major crop damage. Some pepper branches broke, squash, beans and potatoes blown around.

They are calling for 4 more nights like this. It is gonna be a long week!

How is the weather in your area?

Jay

Check out our blog pictures. The second picture is what probably prompted a tornado warning.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Farming Blog Storm Pictures

Comments (8)

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

Seattle it's only reached 70 a couple of days. we've been having november weather - about 50F and rain. Last year we had record heat and drought - this year cool and record rain. Hasn't reached 75F this year yet and each day is a new record. Orchard owners are getting little / no fruit and berry owners little fruit and slugs.

• jillzee
    13 years ago

The weather here has actually been relatively decent. We had record warmth in May, and not too many storms (though the ones we've had have dumped at least an inch of rain in a short period of time. One was 2.4" overnight, which is a lot for us). Last year was horrible, cold, and too too wet, so this year by comparison has been lovely.

I have often wondered how farmers in the mid-west can manage to keep things alive with all of the storms it seems that you get! Listening to the weather channel, it seems like you'd be getting severe hail and damaging winds every day during the summer! I realize that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still, it's surprising!

Good luck with the bad weather to come, and nancyanne_2010, I feel your pain. It sounds like you're getting what I had last year. The slugs were HORRIBLE!

Jill

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

In seattle, it was five degrees warmer in JANUARY than it is now - first day of summer (june 20)

• joe-il
    13 years ago

Were getting the same weather up here Jay. Storms everyday, severe weather alerts driving me crazy. H-tunnel is doing very well, holding up tight against it. Hoping the luck holds out.

On the plus side, my outside garden is going nuts. The heat a rain really getting things going. Cherry toms are 5 ft , been picking beans for a week now. melons and corn grow a few inches a day it seems. The corn was flattened on friday it has since straightened out. I fungicide the outdoor toms, this weather is a breeding ground for fungus.

All in all im very happy.

• spogarden
    13 years ago

Hello Seattle, we are getting your rain in Spokane. We had enough high days to send my radish to seed, and it has been raining ever since. Today is one of my few days to work outside and it has been pouring rain since last night. I have not yet turned on my sprinkler system, we have so much rain. I don't think the bee's like it. I hope it doesn't do this all summer.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Our grasses/weeds are doing just fine, really too well. We are having to 'mow' between the rows. Lucky I plant the rows far enough to do so. We had a good strawberry crop, just enough rain with enough slope in our field. Our beans are not doing well, either too much rain or too many weeds. Probably weeds.

Several of the storms have went north of us by just a few miles (10-20 miles), but our fellow vendors have had several high wind/tornadoes in the last month. We have had several storms with high winds 60-80 mph, but no damage.

• jnjfarm_gw
    13 years ago

JAY, Here in western il, I have 2 garden spots 25 miles apart. the north one has had 19 inches of rain since Memorial day the other has had about 10 inches. I am still planting in both of them and hoping for the best. alot of farmers still have soybeans to plant. John

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

Hello spokane. We got up to 65F today! Suppose to be warmer the rest of the week. We MAY even get up to 75F for the first time this year!