Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling plants from home

Posted by czmls 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 0:40

Does anybody know/understand if it is legal to sell your own plants grown at home? I grow my plants from seed every year and always grow too many! I'd love to have a little plant sale of sorts but definitely don't want to if I'm going to get into legal trouble. Any advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling plants from home

You could post an ad in your local 'Shopper" and have a yard sale.
You may need to check your local codes, call your township office. (or whatever it is called in your area.)

o

Some plants have patents and are illegal to propagate...I would do a little research before having a sale.

o

Depends on your state regulations. I was wondering the same thing so I looked up Ohio Dept of Agriculture and emailed them. In Ohio, you are allowed to sell less than $200 in perennials each year without being licenced. They do not regulate annuals or herbs. Licensure requires an annual fee and inspection of your greenhouse/growing area for bugs, mold, etc. Google your state's dept of agriculture and they should be able to give you the answers you want.

-Christi

o

As long as it's not marijuana then it's legal. LOL
But seriously, that depends on your state laws, where are you located anyway? Laws vary from state to state so I think it's best to do some research about your state laws to learn more. :) Good luck!

o

do you really think anybody cares if you're selling some plants from your driveway or front lawn. unless you have busy body neighbor I wouldn't stress over it.

What are "they" going to do...come tell you to stop selling plants ?

o

In NY state, the tax man and the licensing dept would be pretty angry. Heck, they regulate garage sales too!

o

Betty,

I'm glad I live in a tiny burg of a town in WA, The city doesn't get involved in anybody's business unless somebody complains, then they have to look into it. Or unless it's blatantly wrong and out in the open. such as building a 1200 sq ft shop without a permit..whoops, I guess I was asking for that one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here