Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boston3381

corn stalks 'trying to plan ahead'

boston3381
12 years ago

i know its not october yet but i am trying to plan ahead.

anyone sell bunched corn stalks? if so how many in a bunch and how much do you sell them for ?

also what do you charge for straw hay bales?

there are a few farmers here selling straw hay bales

for $ 4.00 each. is it worth getting bales now? is the price going to go up as we get later into the season?

i think im going to need abought 40+ bales for "decorating and retail"

thanks for your help..

Comments (9)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I sold corn stalks 2 years ago, mainly my sweet corn that didn't produce. I bundled them with twine and about the amount that I could hold with both hands. I needed a second person to tie them. I was super cheap, so I found out, and sold out for $2 bunch. My corn stalks were over 8' tall and colored.

Straw bales are the cheapest right after wheat combining, which is NOW. Get them while you can, people are selling out at $3/bale, normal sized around here. Last year, If I remember right, they went for up to $5.97/bale during the holiday time and thru-out winter.

Marla

• boston3381
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well i picked up 30 straw hay bales today and talked to
    my nabor who is cow farmer and grows corn feed and he said
    he will sell me some cut stalks when it gets around Oct.

but im still looking for a price on bunched stalks.
    i do know i can get around $7.50 to $8.00 a bale for the
    straw hay bales.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

As I said in the previous post, 2 years ago, I sold mine for $2 for a small double handfull. I was CHEAP, If you can get $7.50-8.00 for bale, I would price the stalks at the same price or higher.

Marla

• upson22
    12 years ago

We sell corn stalks along with our pumpkins and squash from our farm, we get $5 for a bundle of stalks, it is a good size bundle, we actually have an old machine that we pull behind the tractor that cuts and bundles them, we also sell straw for $5 a bale. Good luck! Customers love the stalks!

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

I bundled up some corn stalks several years ago and I sold very few, but I did sell some. Maybe 8 or 10 bundles. Two years ago, I tried again and I didn't sell any. My neighbor cut some of his corn for silage and the chopper left a few skips in the field. I asked if I could go out and chop them down and he was very happy I did that for him.

Now I did do one thing, I pulled the ears off and sold them as squirrel corn. I sold out! Then I asked another farmer if I could glean his field for ears of corn and I ran out of corn and time to glean, but it was an easy money maker and fun for the kids to do.

Jay

• boston3381
    Original Author
    12 years ago

still here.. thanks marla,jrslick, and upson22

i been bussy getting ready for this storm/hurricane irene

P.S. upson22 i will be back on that weed spray for sunflowers post. just need to let this storm pass first.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

boston, be safe.

Marla

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

I tried to find what I sold them for last year but can't find it. They were a pain to take to market- lost some on the road LOL and none sold! None. I had read that people spend money on decorations and quibble about food prices but that did not prove true for me. I also couldn't sell eating sunflower seeds, seeds for birds, or herb branches for BBQ.
    I ended up giving them to CSAs. Between my taking them to Thursday market I decorated my own porch through the week.

• boston3381
    Original Author
    12 years ago

its 7:30 am and so-far so-good,
    5 greenhouses 2 over 90 ft long,2 barns 3 houses, and dam the wind is wiping.
    boots and razor-blades by the door if in case the plastic goses on the green house.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida