Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
price for basil

Posted by mbrown297 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 04 at 8:49

For the past month or so I have been selling basil, about six pounds a week, to an upscale restaurant near my home for $8/lb. I got that price from a post I saw some time ago. I would like to know what others charge for basil at restaurants. I asked a health food store nearby and they offered $5/lb. There aren't any farmers markets nearby so my only choice right now is to sell to stores or restaurants.
Thanks all for your help.
Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: price for basil

Are there any other growers in the area?
I ask for 2 resons 1.If you are "THE" grower in your area you can charge what you want they will pay .
2.If there are other growers of anything why dont you look at starting a market I think it would benfit all of you and your town.

o

Look under the "Keeping Basil Fresh" post for some info on pricing. I am certified organic and get $18.00 a pound for perfect leaves, washed and bagged. $5.00 a lb seems awfully low.
Good Luck.
GP

o

Does anyone sell pesto? If so what kind of price do you get? Also,is it frozen or can you process it?

o

GP - Is $18/lb the price you get retail at the market? I am charging $8/lb to a restaurant. I pick it and deliver it as is in a bushel basket. The $5/lb price was quoted from a health food store by the pound. However, at the same time I am selling them bags of basil (about 2-3 cups worth) with a recipe for $1.25 each.
Mike

o

I sell mine $10-14 lbs $10 is usually with stalks and $12-$14 leaves only. $10.00lbs to resturants (leaves only)

o

Mine is .90/oz for specialty basils (purple, African blue, cinnamon, etc.) Price per # for regular Italian is $12.00, greenhouse grown so no dirt & includes some stem. Micro basil is $2.00/oz, $32.00/lb. I'm selling as much micro to restaurants as the regular size & that will increase as heirloom tomatoes are ready. We also grow a petite blend of purple, Italian & lemon which is a great seller.

o

Mike:
The $18.00 price is what I get at our local growers markets.I grow the large leaf Italian basil. Again, they are leaves only, perfect, certified organic and packed in air tight cellulose bags. Restaurant owners and chefs buy from me and don't have a problem with paying for high quality basil. I suggest you check prices at your local growers market/s to see if your prices are too low. Don't sell yourself short. We growers work hard and should be compensated fairly.

o

I've been selling basil for $8/lb

o

Old post popping up. In 2003, I was getting $12-20 per lb, depending upon amount.

o

It's 2014, & 2.50$ an oz. At Walmart &,. So I'm glad ya' ll stopped by mine organic (D.EARTH) & cleaned...... Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here