Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole beans or bush

Posted by pitterpat_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 8:52

I am thinking of putting in Kentucky wonder pole beans where my peas were, is there any difference in flavor as far as customer preference if anyone has tried pole beans seems they would be much easier to harvest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole beans or bush

Pole beans are more work at first but when it comes to picking them youll love them compared to bush type. I have good luck with turkey craw.

o

Yes they taste way better than bush.

o

With bush beans I make 0-1 passes and then pull the whole plant and let my kids collect all the beans, not much lost if any.

I grew the purple Italian pole beans this year and they are gorgeous and taste great but cook up pretty ugly. Good enough to eat raw though.

o

I grew KW and Bush Blue Lake last year and everyone preferred the BL. So this year I'm doing the pole version of BL to get the extended harvest though on an interior raised bed I may need a ladder (last year grew on last bed by fence, I could reach most from inside since that bed was lower, DS was tall enough to get the ones on outside though the land dips).

I'm also growing bush versions of Cherokee Wax, Jackson Wonder and Tendergreen so we'll see how it goes. CW has a few thread-sized beans, other bushes have flowers but the pole beans have very few, they're still climbing.

KW got strings when they got bigger, and even picked when stringless they have a pretty strong taste, people at market preferred the "round beans" and even DS who loves green beans with garlic (no butter!) preferred the BL. So a lot of KW got blanched and frozen in small packs to throw in soup.

o

Thanks for the comments on variety, I will look into those just hope we have a late fall to get them at harvest stage, I am planting this weekend after I finish cleaning out the sugar snap peas ....thanks again.

o

Another thing is that bush beans typically have shorter DTM than pole types....

o

My favorite bean is Rattlesnake. I grow Provider for some early beans but Rattlesnake pole bean is my main crop. They start bearing later but bear heavily. They have purple splotches that disappear when cooked. They are very tender and very sweet. So much easier to pick.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here