Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minirose1

Price on Okra

minirose1
15 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone sold any okra yet this year and for how much per lb? Haven't seen any around here yet.

Comments (42)

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

Here it sells for around $3 a pound.

Janet

• minirose1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Janet, wow, that's a lot more than what I was thinking. Guess I'll see if anyone else has any okra tomorrow and go from there. It's pretty popular here and people have been asking about when its going to be ready. May get bombarded!
    Pat

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    15 years ago

Pat: I know it is worth more, but we only get $1.50 a pound here. I was hoping to get $2.00 a pound. Pricing is the hardest thing to do.

Janet: Do you really sell alot of okra at $3.00 a pound?

Jay

• garliclady
    15 years ago

Last year I sold mine for $2 Pint and $4 QT. and didn't put the price per lb on the sign . I cut mine almost every day so they were nice and small.Most people had no problem with the price . Others had lower priced okra but not as nice as mine and they didn't sell out. Another reason for putting them in the containers was to keep them looking nice letting people get their own will get the okra scratched and old looking.

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

Last year I'd take 15-20 lbs each Saturday and sell out. I don't know if you consider that a lot or not. Unfortunately my okra hasn't done well this year and I haven't had any at all this year.

A pound usually filled a quart zip lock storage bag. I made the bags up ahead of time. Like Garlic Lady, it solved the problem of folks rooting through a basket or like one woman did two years ago, taking her thumbnail and puncturing each pod she picked up. I about lost my cool over her doing that! In fact we did have a word or two...

Janet

Janet

• oldbusy1
    15 years ago

We sold our okra for $3.00 a qt and usually sold out every time.we took anywhere from 10lb to 20 lb. A qt basket will hold about a pound.We have only missed one wekend at the market since April. Granted the okra didnt start producing till it got hot.We planted 4 100ft rows and another 3 rows at 90ft laterin the summer to keep a steady supply. We are still getting okra but the cooler nights are slowing it down.

• ethand97_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have 31 rows of okra here in southern oklahoma an i would like ta know how much ya can git in oklahoma in pounds

• offielawrencejr_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I live in GEORGIA, Wanting to know how much okra is selling for

12 years ago

Here in North Central Kansas, I am getting $3.50 a pound. This is an old thread, in '08 I was getting $1.50 a pound and now I have been selling out at $3.50 a pound.

Jay

• jcatblum
    12 years ago

Ethan if your okra is still producing it was priced at $4 a lb @ the OSU farmers market this weekend! My mouth about dropped, I thought it was priced too high. But people were buying it!

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I wouldn't take less than $3/lb unless EVERYONE has it.

Marla

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

So we don't import anything if we can help it. This isn't a forum to find customers, plus I believe okra is only good for a very few days (not long enough to ship). Did you look at the rules for businesses, which is what you are suggesting?

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

I'm one of only two vendors of okra at the market (I haven't sold any yet because mine are in an unheated tunnel). The other vendor has a greenhouse and sells one okra pod for 75 cents. That's zone 2 for ya!

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Whoa, a pint of pickled okra would cost how much, $15 (plus vinegar) to make???

I planted it for the 1st time this year, 2 seeds per hill, 4 hills, have 6-7 plants. Not sure if I should snip off the weaker one in each hill, or maybe transplant? I didn't realize they like ti dry, planted them in bed with my zukes.

They're just for DH, didn't think Yankees would buy okra but I may bring a couple pints to market if I have them some Friday.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Someone mentioned selling Okra to Indian restaurants on another thread...if there are any in the area?

I have never grown okra either, but am experimenting with it as a way to cast some shade on pepper plants with hopes of selling the fruit from both.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

Okra hates wet soil more than any other veggie I've grown. They don't just sit and sulk, they actually die with amazing rapidity. I always keep it slightly underwatered to be safe.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Do they transplant OK as long as they're less than 6" tall? Watering might get a bit tricky where they are (in between a zuke and cukes).

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Don't mess with their roots much. I don't know how deep 6" tall plants might go, I do know that full sized plants are almost impossible (in my soil) to dig, better to take chainsaw to them.

Marla

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

Yes, they hate having their roots damaged. Just be careful, and make sure your soil is well-tilled so that they establish quickly. If you happen to have cloddy heavy clay, it helps to direct a gentle stream of water into the planting hole to break up the rootball a bit and get rid of any air pockets. Then push soil around and over the rootball.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

PS: I'm referring to okra in pots above.

If you're talking about moving okra that is already in the ground, forget it. You're better off leaving it be and taking your chances with excess water.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Already in the ground (direct seeded). I guess I'll just have to use a watering can on that bed to get the zuke and cukes w/o overwatering the okra. Live and learn (I'm a Yankee born and bred).

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If it's hot enough, okra can handle all the water your cukes can.

Growing it in truly HOT climates comparable to the Nile4 Valley where it was domesticated means I can plant and stand back.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Another Okra newbie here.
    Anyone think this Okra experiment has a chance of working?
    The Okra I just finished planting out was planted in a 72 cell flats and let it grow until the true leaf above the first two leaves was growing. The plants have very tough stems and are moderately root binding in the cells. The cotyledons have dropped on most of them. leaf Color is neither excellent or too awful.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

we transplanted okra with no problem. well, the problem is that we didn't grow enough. the first couple of days it looked pretty sad but now the plants are producing and are about 4' tall.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

We never grow enough, seems like we only get less than 10 plants to produce. Enough for me to pick, but it sells out fast.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

The recent Okra transplant went very well, no fatalities. I just put this stuff in here in case anyone searched archives like yours truly.Bushy plants are over a foot tall already and have great development and color. So that was transplanted okra seedling from 72 cell flats that worked great. Nights usually don't drop out of the 50's until late October. I like the way my earlier direct seeded Okra is shading the peppers. If I can sell Okra, here at my solar intense southern latitude it will be a good thing to do in future years for the peppers. Peppers are planted to the east of the Okra so they get direct morning sun and filtered sun in the afternoon.

• gama_garden_tx
    11 years ago

Everyone has okra here, so it prices about $2/lb (on the low end) all the way to $4/lb, but we sell to a high end, large city market, so $3/lb would be a nice profitable rate. I sell burgundy okra, and it flies off the table. Okra loves sandy soil, full sun, & lots of heat, so needless to say, I'm gonna need a ladder for my okra trees soon..

IMO, unless you live in a very rural community where everyone grows food, I wouldn't suggest growing anything for below $1/lb. Especially if you can sell at a market in a fairly, populated city.

11 years ago

I have concluded that Okra must be only appealing if the economy is good. In past years I was selling 20-30 pounds of okra at market twice a week. We are getting $3 a pound. This year we are picking 20-25 pounds a picking (3 pickings a week) and we are selling 3-5 pounds at market. That leaves lots of okra left over. I am offering 1 pound for $3, 2 pounds for $5 and 3 pounds for $6. I have only sold one 3 pound bag and single pounds. To get an idea, 25 pounds of okra will fill 3 plastic t-shirt bags full. I pick Okra at 2-4 inches long.

Jay

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

does someone else at your market have okra?

11 years ago

Yes we have several others who have Okra, but I am bringing more than them. Everyone is selling at the same price, I am actually offering it cheaper at 2 and 3 pounds. Probably what is happening, as a small market our customers do a great job of buying something from everyone. If I have tomatoes, peppers and okra and another vendor has okra and green beans. They will buy my tomatoes and peppers and then buy his okra and green beans until he runs out of Okra then they will buy mine.

It is nice that they do this, we all make some money.

Jay

• Pixpuflu1
    10 years ago

Does anyone have fresh okra for sale? I live in Montana and would love some. I will pay the shipping.

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

We do, how much you want?

• joseph01jr
    9 years ago

I am expecting to harvest more than 8 tons of okra and i would like to export all of them. What is the price in the markets?

• SteveEggman
    9 years ago

We saw Okra sell out for $3/pound on Wednesday at the Farmers Market. It was whole Okra and went for $3 per pound. Not bad when you consider the big box stores have ugly Okra selling for over $3.50 per ugly pound. Fresh cut rules!

• Miki-Tiki Tiki
    7 years ago

This is Summer of 2016. I sold okra last year at 3.00 a lb. Anyone commenting on it this year?

• ndaigle
    7 years ago

We were at market today and sold by the each. Going to switch to by the pound or prep orations for next week. Our plants are only producing one each though so we'll only have about 1 portion.

• Christine Stoneheart
    7 years ago

wow! i didn't know Okra comes very expensive like 3 for a pound of okra? in my country we sell 1 kilo for a little more than a dollar or less. We eat Okra steamed or cooked with other vegetables :)

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

Christine - In the USA, except for the warm areas, it's a specialty vegetable.

It is hard to ship, so it stays expensive.

• Jaj Hdn
    2 years ago

Hello i have been cultivating okra since a very young age. i sell it to an intermidiante that sells the okra higher at the market place. i appx pick up a pallet of okra wich are 70 boxes perday. i would love to know how i can find a market place and how does it work.

• Jaj Hdn
    2 years ago

Can any one help me understand? or give me any number phones that i can conntact and sell directly to a market place?

• irfourteenmilecreek
    2 years ago

This is a thread about nothing except okra. https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/board/11/okra

There is a lot of information there about growing it, marketing it, cooking it, pickling it, you name it. I pick about 200 pounds per week to sell at various outlets, farmers market, grocery stores, etc., I also market okra seeds from my own variety, developed here on our farm. I sell in bulk for $2.50 per pound, but see it retail for $5.00 per pound average.