Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potato spray

Posted by chester5731 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 9:34

This is my first year growing potatoes. So far all has went fairly well. However the last while the weeds have taken over. I did well at first with hilling and cultivating to keep the weeds out. I was wondering if there is something I can spray them with to help get rid of the weeds later on when the potatoes get bigger, preferably something organic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potato spray

2 things #1 I use my weedeater to help with weed control with all the rain we have had. If you are ready to dig them, i would just cut everything off, rake up the loose material and dig. #2 I read a recipe for a weed killer "as good as roundup" 1 gall white vinegar 5% acid, 2 cups table salt and 8 drops dishwashing soap. I am going to mix some up and spray a spot with this mix next to a spot sprayed with a combination of 24-d and roundup I am eager to see the results of this test. john

o

my spray works good so far. results in houra not days like with roundup. i mixed up a quart batch. and used it to kill weeds on patio blocks and crabgrass in yard. cost of this spray is less than $3 / gallon and a gallon of mix would go along ways. I am some what concerned of any residual effect on the soil. John

o

The only thing that concerns me is the salt. Would it do any lasting harm to other plants? Do you spray it on the plants or just between the rows. I would like to use something other than roundup as I am allergic to it. Thanks for the response.

o

I had a discusion with an university agronomist about this spray mix. he was familiar with it. 1. it is not like roundup since it doesnt traslocate through the sprayed plant. It is a contact weed killer like paraquat. He also said that the amount of salt would leach away with no residual effect. John

o

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try.

o

Another question, do you use it straight or do you dillute it with water?

o

I used it straight but was thinking about trying to dilute it to see how far you could go and still get results. be sure and get good coverage it will only kill what is hit with the spray. john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here