Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henhousefarms

Stand robbed

henhousefarms
10 years ago

Not us, fortunately, but another vendor at several of our markets had their stand robbed earlier this week. No one was hurt but they lost their cashbox. They were set up at the Macon County Health Department which they have for years (and we did for several years also but no longer do) off to one side and were alone. A customer came up and started talking, somehow either came around the table or from behind grabbed the cashbox and took off running. The vendor took off after him leaving his daughter behind (I think she is somewhere around 13) to call the police. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) he was unable to catch the thief and gave up the chase. The police later recovered the cashbox but the bills were missing - interestingly the WIC and Senior Nutrition coupons were still there so it was not a total loss. On a side note, the police told him that since good old Illinois is now getting it's Concealed Carry program going that he should consider getting a permit when they start issuing.

Just thought I would throw this out as a reminder to everyone that, while rare, this type of thing does happen.

Tom

Comments (13)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

In Indiana, you can still get a lifetime "concealed carry' permit. It costs like $200. Son is getting his.

The thief probably didn't know what to do with the vouchers.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Vouchers, equals paper trail. Cash equal no paper trail.

I have thought about this several times this year already. At the last several markets I kept pulling the $20's and putting them in my pocket and then taking them and locking them in my truck. I have a big cash register drawer, so it would be more awkward to steal.

We did have someone who left without paying last week. I know we probably have some things walk off, but it was an older husband and wife. I am guessing them both thought the other one paid. My wife was working it. It was a $13.50 loss, but I guess they were either forgetful or they really needed the food.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I used to pull all but 2 20's as soon as we got them, or if I felt 'weird', I'd pull all of them. I would just put them in my pockets, versus the money-box. We used to have $2-3k by the end of the day Only had 1-2 days that people were looking strange. Of course, I always had more than 1 person at the stand, so if someone did try to steal, there was more than 1 set of eyes. I did have someone steal a box, he thought the boxes that hadn't been loaded were fair game, until I followed him and asked for the box back or pay for it. Those tomato boxes aren't cheap to replace everytime. He was quite rude about it, also.

• brookw_gw
    10 years ago

That's terrible, but I'm not surprised. There's little chance, but I hope they catch the guy. A proper punishment would be putting him to work a year in the fields for that poor lady.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Pulling weeds in this heat.

• henhousefarms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The ironic thing is that there were more vouchers in the box than cash - the Health Department for years has had a poor return rate on the WIC coupons so they ask several vendors to set up on their lot the on Tuesdays which is the day they issue them. People go in, get their WIC vouchers, walk out the door and spend them right there. Not much cash traffic. The Health Department was somewhat embarrassed by the whole affair and told them that they would let them move their stand into a more visible location. Seems to me something about closing the barn door and the loose horse is appropriate.

Tom

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

It is so common now days. I have been a police officer full time for over 16 years. In that time people haven't changed but they sure have gotten more desperate. I too recommend getting that concealed carry if it is for you. It isn't for everyone. Be careful out there. I don't feel the least bit sorry for People who do stuff like that.

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

I don't think a concealed weapon is going to help. If it's concealed, then it has no deterrent effect. And once they grab the money and run, you're not allowed to shoot them in the eyes of the law. If you shot and killed a fleeing thief, even if you did avoid jail, which is doubtful, you would get sued by the surviving family for everything you had. Many of us would disagree with that, but it is still the state of the law.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I would post that I carry, unless that's illegal.

I had one person that was concerned that I walked more than 4' away from my money bag yesterday (hubby was less than 2' away) in my little town. I don't think she realized that most of what was is there was 1s and a bunch of extra paper (not money). I told her that I kept an eye on any movement towards it. There might have been $20.

• henhousefarms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree that a CCW in this case would be of no use - it was a crime of opportunity nothing more. However, what if it had been a man with a weapon? There are cases where carrying is not effective and cases where it can save lives. I tend to think about defensive firearms like I think about life insurance - I have it incase I need it but sure do not plan on using it.

Tom

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Wow, right by govt building too. No security? Glad no one got hurt - I wouldn't have left my 13-yr old DD alone though. More worried about young girl than money (I don't think anyone would mess with my 14-yo DS though).

That's why I won't sell in urban areas, though looking at organic prices from New Haven market last week I could make a lot. Also keep my money in a fanny pack with pack in front (we had a thread about securing cash last year).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

In these days, your son could be stolen just as easily as your daughter. Children are too precious to take the chance.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Yes, I know young boys are at risk too but my DS looks older - 5'7", muscular, and needs a shave. Not the type that would appeal to a child predator, I hope.

I have left him alone at the stand while I went to the bathroom. I'm not sure I will do that with his sister at the same age, even with other vendors around, and definitely not at end of market (we've even left him to finish packing the truck while we walked over to other end of the parking lot to order a pizza and use the bathroom, I would never do that with DD, we've had female college students in the state abducted recently, women are always at risk no matter what their age, young and pretty even more so). Left him the keys and told him to stay with the truck (lock himself inside) so nobody would be tempted to steal the EZUp, etc. out of the back. In another 2 yrs (he'll be too young for learner's permit next summer) I can give him the keys and tell him to come pick us up at the end of the plaza (and maybe even let him drive home).