Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garliclady_gw

Recipes to share

garliclady
18 years ago

Most of us have agreed that giving out recipes help sell our prouce . I thought I would start a thread where we could share recipes for what is currently coming in .

This weekend is tomato day at our market here are the recipes I used for last years tomato day

Easy Tomato and Goats Cheese Slice

1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry

2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil

16 oz grape tomatoes 1 teaspoon sugar

5 oz goats cheese, crumbled

2 Tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves

1 Tablespoon shredded fresh basil leaves

cup parmesan cheese grated

Place pastry on greased oven tray, fold pastry edges in to make 1" border; pinch corners together. Heat oil in pan, add tomatoes and sugar, cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until tomatoes are shiny and skins begin to split; drain on absorbent paper. Spread combined goats cheese and basil over pastry base, top with tomatoes. Bake at 475F for about 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and browned. Serve sprinkled with extra-basil and parmesan cheese flakes. Serves 4 to 6.

Tomato Basil Soup

4 cups tomatoes peeled, chopped and cored

8-10 fresh basil leaves

or 4 cups of canned whole tomatoes

4 cloves of garlic (pressed)

8-10 fresh basil leaves

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 stick of butter

4 cups of tomato juice or vegetable or chicken stock

Combine tomatoes and stock/juice in a pot and simmer for 30 mins. Then in small batches ,puree in a blender, tomatoes garlic and basil leaves. Return to the pot and add butter and cream and heat

Tomato Pie

4 c chopped drained tomatoes 6-8 leaves basil

2-4 cloves garlic 1/3 c mayo

1 med shallot

1/2 c parm cheese

1 BAKED pie shell

combine ingred and pour into pie shell bake 20 mins at 350 top with more parm cheese and bake 10 more mins

Summer Spaghetti

6 medium to large tomatoes, cut into large chunks

1 small garlic clove, minced

1 Tbsp. minced shallot

1/2 medium onion, chopped

3 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh basil

3 to 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

6 to 8 Tbsp. olive oil Salt and black pepper to taste

Tabasco sauce to taste (optional) Drain off and discard any liquid from the tomatoes. Mix the tomatoes with all the remaining ingredients. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Toss with hot pasta and top with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.

or parmesan mix will fall off. Serve hot.

Greek Tomato Salad

2 Â3 cups grape tomatoes sliced in half or 2 cups chopped tomatoes drained

½ cup of each of the following  green peppers, yellow peppers,red peppers

1 cup seeded cucumbers

½ cup red onion

Italian Dressing (enough to coat mixture) 1 cup Black olives

8-12 oz crumbled Feta Cheese Oregano and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients except cheese marinate in fridge several hours drain Then ADD Cheese and serve cold

Baked Tomatoes with Mozzarella and Basil

Preheat oven to 350° F. Wash the tomatoes and slice them in half, horizontally.

Place them in an oiled medium/large baking dish with the sliced side up and bake for 1/2 an hour. Remove from the oven and put a slice of mozzarella on each tomato half along with a drop of olive oil, basil, and some bread crumbs. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.

These can be served hot or at room temperature.

Parmesan Pan Fried Tomatoes

1 cup white flour 1 Tbsp. Onion powder

4 cloves of garlic pressed 1 tsp. Salt

1/2 tsp. Black pepper, ground

1 cups Parmesan cheese, grated

1 cups breadcrumbs 2Eggs 12 slices Tomatoes, sliced 1/2" thick (3 tomatoes)

2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

3 Tbsp. Olive oil Combine flour, onion powder, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well. In separate bowl combine and parmesan. In third bowl combine eggs and mustard. Take slices of tomato and dip in flour, dust off excess. Then dip in egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Finally dip in parmesan mixture, pressing parmesan mixture onto slices for good coverage. Repeat until all slices are breaded. These should be stored in a single layer dusted lightly with extra crumbs. Heat olive oil in non-stick frying pan, over medium-high heat. Place 3 slices in pan, and let cook about 1 ½ - 2 minutes on each side, until just golden brown. Don't flip too soon

Garlic Rubbed Bruschetta 1 thin loaf French bread (20 to 24 inches long) 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed

2 cloves garlic, cut in half

Cut the bread sharply on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices. Lightly brush each side of the slices with olive oil (don't overdo it or the dripping oil will cause a fire).Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high .When ready to cook, arrange the bread slices on the hot grate and grill until nicely toasted on both sides, 1 to 3 minutes per side, turning with tongs. Don't turn your back on the grill for a minute  grilled bread burns quickly. Transfer the toast to a platter or wire rack. Rub each slice of toast on both sides with garlic. Serve hot or at room temperature

Black Bean Salad

3 fresh ears of corn cooked and cut off cob

3-4 tbs lime juice

2 tbs olive oil

1 tbs red wine vinegar

1t salt

½ t pepper 2 large tomatoes seeded and chopped

1 small purple onion chopped

3 jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped

2 cans black beans

¼ c chopped cilantro

1 t cumin

3 cloves garlic pressed Whisk together lime juice, oil, vinegar ,salt and pepper in large bowl. And other ingredients and toss to coat. Chill. serves 6-8

Tomato & Zucchini Soup

This is a great soup to use up fresh tomatos in summer and it is light and summery.

6-8 large fresh tomatos, preferably a juicy variety.

2-3 small-med zucchini, washed unpeeled.

1tsp-1Tbsp minced or crushed fresh garlic

1 can vegetable broth or 2-3 cups homemade.

3 Tbsp olive oil.

1-2 tsp dried tarragon, adjust to taste.

Chop tomatos into a bowl to catch juices.

Cut zucchini into 1 or 2 inch chunks or rounds if not too big around. Saute in stock pot in olive oil with garlic till just starting to soften but still crisp. Season with salt & pepper and tarragon. Immedietly add tomatoes and juice. Add vegetable broth to desired amount of juice. I dont like this soup to be swimming with juice I like it a bit chunky. Simmer for about 30 minutes to meld flavors. Serve with crisp french bread.

Comments (10)

• ohiorganic
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yum and thanks here are some of my recipes that I have had in my CSA newsletter this season:

Squash Lyonaise

This is really easy to make and oh so tasty

1 zucchini/summer squash, cut into 1/2" slices
    1 large onion sliced into 1/2" slices
    2 TBL oil or butter
    Salt to taste (kosher is best)

Put the butter/oil in a hot pan when the fat is hot add the zukes and onion and than salt to taste. Cook on medium low heat, covered for about 15 minutes, remove the cover and cook another few minutes until excess liquid has cooked away. Serve immediately

Really Good Pasta Sauce

1 jar of tomato sauce
    1 medium zucchini chopped into 1" cubes or slices
    1/2 cup chopped garlic scapes
    1 medium onion chopped
    1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
    1 ripe pepper chopped
    1TBL dried basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or other good hard cheese
    2 TBL olive oil

In a hot sauce pan put in the oil and let heat for a few seconds than add the zuke, scapes, onion, peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or so. Add the tomato sauce , herbs and cheese and bring to a simmer and cook at least 45 minutes. Serve over your favorite pasta

Veggie Curry
    1 largish zuke or 3 mediums (about 1 pound) cut into 1" cubes
    1 bunch baby sweet onions, left whole but with green cut off
    1/2 pound snap peas left whole
    5 or 6 garlic scapes, chopped into pieces
    1/4 cup raisins
    Any other vegetable you like such as asparagus, ripe peppers, broccoli, green beans, etc..
    olive oil
    soy sauce
    1 to 2 TBL good curry powder

In a hot, large frying pan on medium heat add the oil and when that is heated add all the veggies and stir. After cooking for a couple of minutes add the soy sauce and curry powder and stir that in well. Turn heat down to medium low and cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, remove cover and cook another 10 minute or so.

Serve with basmati rice and riata

• beckyishere
    18 years ago

This is a great thread! I was hoping for lots of yummy ideas, but thought I would share my childrens favorites.

Grilled eggplant "pizza's"

Med Eggplant cut longway, 1/2" think slices
    Lg tomato
    1/4 red onion
    black olives (to your taste)
    green olives (to your taste)
    pinch fresh oragano
    splash olive oil

Chop above veggies, excluding eggplant, into 1/4' pieces, add to bowl with oil, gently stir to coat. Set aside until later.
    Pre heat grill. Spray eggplant with non stick cooking spray, or brush with olive oil. Grill eggplant about five minutes on one side,flip.
    Carefully spoon chopped veggies onto cooked side of eggplant, cover with slice of motzy cheese. Remove from heat when cheese is bubbly.

My daughter is diabetic and has to count everything she eats, so we have had to learn to cook foods that fill up a growing pre teen with out counting against her to much. We have rough figured this as counting as 15 carbs.
    We add and subtract veggies at will, depending what is fresh at hand.
    My daughter wants me to tell you she prefers to use cherokee purple tomato, she thinks they work best in thei recipe. I prefer a nice paste tomato, they seem to run less.

Becky

• Octogenarian
    18 years ago

www.recipesource.com has 280 recipes for pesto, which I find confusing. Does anyone have a simple one for my basil? Doug

• Tom1953
    18 years ago

Plenty of Zuchs and cabbage and nice onions never go to waste try this.
    (I don't measure a thing)
    Cut up your cabbage, Place on the bottom of a high walled Thick pot
    Slice several onions like you would for hamburgers, place on top of cabbage.
    Turn on the heat to a simmer
    Chunk up summer squash place atop the other items.
    Cover let the stuff simmer and steam, if no steam add a little!! water.

Once the squash begins to tender add quartered tomatoes.
    Sevre with parmsion cheese salt and pepper and enjoy.

I cook as I speak striaght from the top of my head. But this is easy to do as it is good for you.

tom

• gponder
    18 years ago

Doug, here's a great, basic pesto recipe. I freeze it for use throughout the year:

3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
    4 cloves garlic
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
    Combine all in food processor and blend until smooth. Easy.....
    Glenda

• Tom1953
    18 years ago

Anyone have a recipe or two to share for Green toamatoes?
    Tom

• imtoobusy
    18 years ago

My favorite for green tomatoes was given to me by a customer last year. dredge your green tomato slices in buttermilk that has a dash or 2 of hot sauce in it. Then dip in cornmeal that has salt, pepper, and whatever spice you would enjoy (thyme, rosemary, tarragon, etc). Fry slices in a skillet that has about a 1/4 inch or less of vegetable oil in it. Fry until golden brown then flip and brown the other side. My customer likes it best with goat cheese on top. My DH likes it with horseradish and my son likes it with ranch (a general kids dipping sauce...).

GREAT!!

• garliclady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Basil recipes

Basil Prawns
    2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 1/2 lemons, juiced
    3 Tablespoons coarse grained prepared mustard
    125g/4oz minced fresh basil
    2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
    salt to taste
    1 pinch white pepper
    1 1/2kg/3lb raw prawns, peeled and cleaned

Mix oil and melted butter in a shallow glass bowl. Stir in lemon juice, mustard, basil and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Add prawns, and toss. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    Preheat grill to high heat. Grease well.
    Remove prawns, and thread on soaked bamboo skewers.
    Cook for 4 minutes, on lightly oiled grill turning once, until just pink.

Garlic and Basil Cream Sauce over pasta
    8 oz penne or other pasta 4 tbs. Butter
    4 cloves garlic (minced or pressed)
    1 cup light cream
    10-12 basil leaves
    1 med. shallot
    pepper and salt
    Freshly grated parmesan

Cook pasta. Melt butter in a small deep skillet. Add Garlic and shallots saute' 3 min. over low heat. pour in cream , basil , salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat covered but vented 7-10 min. until thickened. Pour sauce over pasta and add cheese

Pan Glazed Chicken w/ Basil
    4 boneless chicken breast halves
    1/2teas. salt
    1/4teas. pepper
    2teas. olive oil
    2TBS. balsamic vinegar
    1TBS. honey
    2teas. dried basil
    Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet
    and add chicken. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until chicken
    is no longer pink. Stir in vinegar, honey and basil and cook

Basil, Garlic Vinaigrette
    2C olive oil
    1C white wine vinegar
    1/4C chopped fresh basil
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    Combine all in a jar with lid, shake. Refrigerate overnight, shake well before using.

Easy Garlic Pasta
    1 lbs box of spaghetti pasta noodles
    1/2 butter
    1 med head of garlic
    8-10 basil leaves
    Fresh Parmesan Cheese
    While pasta is cooking place butter, garlic (pressed), and basil (finely chopped) in a heat proof glass bowl. Place bowl over boiling pot of pasta and let butter melt. Stir all ingredients together. Remove bowl and when pasta is done, drain. Pour hot pasta over butter mixture and toss .Addfreshly grated Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. And serve. This can be a whole meal just add cooked shrimp or chicken.

Tomato Salad with Basil Honey Vinaigrette
    4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1 Tbsp. honey
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    3-4 tomatoes sliced and layered in serving platter
    In a small bowl whisk together the vinaigrette, honey and salt. Add the olive oil and basil and whisk to blend. Taste and adjust seasonings. Drizzle over tomatoes and serve.
    Note: It looks pretty with a layer of lettuce leaves under it and this extends the salad a bit.

Pesto
    2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/4 cup nuts
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup fresh Romano cheese
    extra virgin olive oil
    Puree basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt and cheese in a food processor. With the food processor running, add olive oil to make a paste.

Basil Stuffed Chicken
    boneless chicken breast
    1 clove of garlic for each piece of chicken seasoned salt
    5 large basil leaves for each piece of chicken olive oil
    tooth picks or skewers

Place each piece of chicken in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to 1/4 inch with a meat mallet. Sprinkle each side with season salt. With a garlic press mash a clove of garlic on one side of each breast. Cover that side of the chicken with basil leaves. Then starting with the short end roll up the chicken and secure with a toothpick . Cook in pan with olive oil until chicken is firm and white on both sides. ( you can cook this on your grill) Serve with pasta , fresh chopped tomatoes, chopped basil and cheese. .

• fancifowl
    18 years ago

honey-dijon fingerlings: equal amounts of -olive oil-dijon mustard-honey, mix together and add fingerlings or any small tater, toss until coated, roast at 425 until done. let some areas get black, salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle on some diced chives. Works well with horseradish mustard too.

• asparagusgirl
    17 years ago

We have a ton or recipes on our website www.gourmettrading.net feel free to use any of them! and let me know what you think about them!

Yummy asparagus!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio