Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gama_garden_tx

Excellent day at market

gama_garden_tx
9 years ago

Just when I was talking about how slow it is this time of year....I hit a record day. Fewer customers, but each person was buying a lot. Plus our market always does really well on holiday weekends (more regular, serious shoppers versus tourist type)

The cooler weather (mid 90's) and extra rain helped tremendously. I had a few winter crops left when no one else had any. I think I might become the "kale lady" and expand my kale varieties.

I think I was priced too low on white eggplant. About $1/lb, and customers were shocked at the price (not good!). I thought it was a fair price since the guy next to me had 2 lb eggplants for $2 each. I just thought $2/lb was too high, but all the customers did say I had the most beautiful eggplant they had ever seen. Granted they were beautiful, but I think the way I displayed them made them look better. They also thought they were cute, because they were white and a little larger than a large egg.

Comments (2)

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

I had to smile when you said "a little cooler" for the mid-90s. Around here, 80 degrees is considered a very hot day! I sell my eggplants for $5/lb but that reflects the growing conditions here.

Good to know you had a nice market day.

How do you keep the kale from going bitter in a Texas July?

• little_minnie
    9 years ago

I just about got heat stroke today in just about our first hot, humid day. About 83 I think. Tomorrow about 88. My one Sunday off all month! rats.

Sponsored