Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorjacks

Taking herbs to market

lorjacks
16 years ago

I will be selling fresh cut herbs and herbal products at market this fall. I was thinking I'd put the fresh cut herbs in dish pans or large plastic bowls half way full of water. Does anyone have any better suggestions to keep my herbs fresh through the market day?

Thank you.

Comments (5)

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

You are off to a good start. One other thing I would suggest is that you purchase a 1-2 gal. garden sprayer, label it in large letters "Water Only" and then take it along and mist your herbs regularly on hot days.

If you can divide your herbs into 3-4 containers and only subject one at a time to the tabletop heat and sun they will also look better throughout the day.

There are many clear plastic containers of various sizes available in stores that work well but I also use plastic ice cream, cottage cheese and other such containers for herbs requiring different height to show them off better.

Some herbs, like basil, don't like to be submerged in water so I just use a few inches of water in those containers and bring extra small containers (and water) if you have room so that you can move few remaining bunches to later in the market to free up display space and make those herbs appear neater.

• paveggie
    16 years ago

Are the herbs to be pre-bunched? Will each container have only one kind of herb? If not, you could have a tangled mess. From a bulk dish pan, I think you'd find that pieces, or even bunches, would flip into the water as you remove portions. That could be really messy. A little water on parsley wouldn't be as serious as on rosemary.

A series of smaller containers inside the dish pan(s), would keep the herbs more tidy. These could be moved out of the carrier to reorganize as mentioned above.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

The container you choose should fit the herb for both quantity and height. I typically put my sweet basil in multiple bu. size plastic lugs. Flavored basils are usually all put into one 14x18" clear plastic container(8" high). But cilantro, depending on plant height may either be put in 4" or 8" high container. Mint, chives or dill usually are put into taller containers.

You need to feel the market and see what sells best for you and the best way to display it. I find that basil and cilantro sell best if positioned near to tomatoes on my tables. Herbs have their own distinct aroma and the more you handle them the more they seem to sell. Don't be afraid to rip and tear at a bunch of any herb to show off its aroma to an interested crowd. To me tidy is when you set a your last container of an herb on the table and toss the remaining bunches from the previous container on top of it in a frantic selling frenzy.

• lorjacks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Those are some great ideas.

• featherandfurrow
    16 years ago

make sure to keep them in the shade! My basil practically curled up and died one sunny day but as long as I keep it in the shade it is just fine. I don't have hardly any luck keeping my dill perky though, it's not a huge seller anyway. I always prepackage my cilantro into deli containers and I always sell out, no matter how much I bring. If you harvest the cilantro, make sure it is dry before you pack it--dry-packed i've had in last in my fridge 2 weeks!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH