Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muffy432002

what should I be doing now?

muffy432002
15 years ago

I've made up my mind and I'd like to try selling produce at the Farmer's Market NEXT year. I live on an acre of uncultivated land ( except for lawn) that I want to use.I'm an ex gardener that has grown tired with the rat race and missing my connection with the earth. I'm fairly confident about getting things to grow, but I really don't know where to begin. Do I start getting my beds ready now(amending the soil?), finding different markets...what?

Comments (3)

• grannymarsh
    15 years ago

Check out the Markets in your area. See if they are a 'fit'. Observe & Talk to the other vendors and to the Market manager to get the rules.

Get your soil ready for planting. Some extra attention now will pay off dividends next year, especially in the area of weed prevention. Have your soil tested.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

I would say pretty much the same as grannymarsh. Go to your local markets now and get a feel for them. Decide which one(s) you'd like to sell at, see what sells well where, and talk to the market master for information. Also, check on insurance regulations and contact your insurance agent now to see what they can offer.

You can get a soil test, and start planning, laying out, and amending your beds now, or build and amend the raised beds if you are going that route. Think about watering options - will you be laying out soaker hoses, etc. - and acquire what you will need, as well as cages, twine, stakes, etc. Look through seed catalogs and decide what you want to grow, and plan what you will need for seed starting, etc.

Also, you can start gathering things like tables, canopies, crates/boxs for transport to market, display stands/racks, signs, tablecloths, baskets, containers, money box, money aprons, bags, etc - think about how you want your stall/display area to look and get that stuff together.

Lots to do, but you have plenty of time to prepare for next year.

Good luck! And enjoy!
    :)
    Dee

• annebert
    15 years ago

And if you're going to report your income and pay taxes, start keeping records of any expenses.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area