Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pricing wild blueberries

Posted by ajsmama 5b (NW CT) (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:48

Since wild (lowbush, I also have some tall bushes but they're all wild/native) blueberries are supposed to be so much better for you (antioxidants) than cultivated (light blue big watery ones), can I charge more? I just spent 2 hours tromping all over picking my berries - they don't ripen all at once and the bushes are all spread out. Got about a quart.

I have pint clamshells, may have a few smaller ones (that 6oz of blackberries came in this winter - again, have to say the wild ones are better). How much per pint or half pint? Sure not worth my time picking, but since I have them I might as well bring them to market tomorrow. Cultivated ones were going for $4.50/pt last week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pricing wild blueberries

Probably not enough to pay for the two hours you spent picking them. We have been selling domestics at $4.00/pt so maybe 5-5.50. Worth a try.

Tom

o
RE: Pricing wild blueberries

I never sold tame blueberries for less than $4 pint (.67-.75 lb). I would also say $5-5.50. Make sure you tell people about the higher antioxidant value. Research the nutrients and post it.

Also state if you think the crop might be lower than average, due to frost or such. Our local u-pick blueberry farms are already closed for season due to untimely frosts.

Marla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here