Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tombombadill

Winter Flower Stand Idea

TomBombadill
11 years ago

Hello there. I'm new to the forum so I hope this is the appropriate section to post this question at. If not, please direct me to somewhere better. Anyway I operate a lawncare service through the year and don't have much work outside of snow removal during the winter. Hence I'm always trying to think of side businesses to do during the winter. I've done some vegetable gardening the last two years and enjoyed it. My dad is an avid flower and vegetable gardener. My idea based of this experience and talking with him is to start a winter-time flower stand where I would sell potted flowers to people to brighten up their winter day. I'm not sure whether I would need a grow light system or not to do this as I've researched that there are many varieties of flowers that will actually grow and bloom during the winter months in this zone, such as crocus, heather, snowdrops, and helebores, to name a few. So I guess my question is: has anyone else done or are doing this, Do you grow the flowers inside or do can I use flowers that I plant from seed or bulb during the autumn, and what other advice or tips would you have in regarding this subject. My other idea that goes in hand with the flower stand is to make and design flower boxes to people at the local farmers market that I can maintain for them on a year round basis, even in winter with the winter varieties available for this. I just thought it would be a neat business idea to provide flowers to people during a time when their not as available or that they have a small businessperson to look to for this.

Comments (5)

Sponsored